The Green Thing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
The Green Thing

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to me “you should bring your own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment”.I explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But, we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books. But, too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But, that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But, she's right, we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But, isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off!!!!

You have just described my first twenty years to a tee. I can even remember doing math problems with a pencil and paper. HD? 3D? We were lucky to have that 13" black and white tv. We had the tin foil wrapped around the rabbit ears for better reception. Dad hardly threw anything away because "we might find a use for it someday". But you are right, we didn't have the green thing back then.

Great post, I would print it out for my kids, but they already know.

Im 26 and im about a hateful as it gets to younger people, this generation is full of retards that think they dont have to work and get every thing handed to them on a silver plater...

iv got two kids an i push every value i got on them an pound it into their skulls untill i get my point across, and i know they will think me later in life when they'er my age looking at the next generation thinking that they'er morons.. it's a revolving door i understand that lol cause my dad said the same thing about me and his dad about him.

=D> =D> =D> FishingCop, you and I were brought up in the same world!!! I often have difficultly understanding the one we live in today.

JamesM56alum said:
Im 26 and im about a hateful as it gets to younger people, this generation is full of retards that think they dont have to work and get every thing handed to them on a silver plater...

iv got two kids an i push every value i got on them an pound it into their skulls untill i get my point across, and i know they will think me later in life when they'er my age looking at the next generation thinking that they'er morons.. it's a revolving door i understand that lol cause my dad said the same thing about me and his dad about him.

I'm with you on this! It seems like all the kids under about 22 have this huge sense of entitlement. It's ULTRA annoying. It also seems like there are now a LOT more kids that have absolutely no respect for their parents or what their parents do for them. I see bad things for America in the next 20 to 40 years when those kids are running things.

Idiocracy is a funny movie about this moral decline.

Forget kids...people in general now seem to have a sense of entitlement.

There are some really good kids out there...I have done a fair bit of working with youth.

There are some older people that need to be 'chuck Norris round housed' in the face just as much as some of the kids do. You should have seen some of them at Costco and Walmart yesterday...My wife was like, "why would somebody be like that?"...a sense of entitlement.

I think actually some of the most spoiled folks out there are in the middle age bracket right now...try saying no to one of them and see the reaction. It's funny.

Our whole world is in rough shape - we need to get back to core values and respecting each other again.

Heck, try saying no to one of their kids! Why do you think kids are the way they are? Parents...

When I was a kid, if a stranger or any adult aside from my parents had to correct me I was in deep doo-doo and there is no way my parents would be angered at the other adult.

I'd say 95% of my generation is described as the posts above. That 95% needs to hike up there pants, loose there huge egos and start respecting themselves. I dont want to live with my generation :cry:

The problem w/kids 2day is 2 much yelling and not enough *** whooping. If this offends you. TOUGH!!!!!. When did raising our kids right become wrong? We might not have had the green thing but we had decent raising! You let the law show up at my door for whooping my daughter/THEY WILL GET ONE TOO!!!!! And that my friends is what is wrong with this generation. But if we would have had the green thing every thing would be perfect! Don't get me wrong, I respect the law,but they have thier place just like every one else. Here is an example; I have a friend that has 3 children by 3different men,none of the dads are in the pic. She collects child support on all of them,she doesn't work,she & her kids live w/her parents, her dad is a drunk, and when her kids get in trouble @ school, it is allways some one elses fault. There again,NOT ENOUGH *** WHOOPINS AND TOO MANY GREEN THINGS!!!!!