Threw it on to the shore...pulled it into the water..BANG!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
This morning, I made some modifications to the rudder on the little "toy yak" that I bought a week or so ago. I threw the yak into the pond with the intent of just trying out the rudder mods. BUT...of course...I threw a rod into the boat. Hate to waste a mini-trip.

I've fished this little pond for 20 years now. For the last ten or so years, 90% of the LM bass average about 1 to 2 lbs. Last week, I caught a near 3 lbr. Even the "little" ones look healthier and fight harder.

Today, I was pretty unprepared for any serious fishing. I had a couple of Sluggos (you remember them?); one very old, raggy looking black worm; a Johnson spoon; and a top water. I threw the spoon, since it was already tied onto the rod, for a few minutes. Two hits. no catches. Put the Sluggo on and got a massive hit..and miss. Must have been one of the five or ten lb. cats that eat all of our bluegills! No fish in the boat.

Put on the single left-over black worm, no weight...and by mistake, threw it onto the grassy shoreline bank. Pulled it gently off into the water .... and BANG. She was about 3 1/2 lbs. and towed the little yak around before I could belly land her. Smiling, I dropped her back into the clear water. Two casts later....same black worm....same mistaken throw onto the grass...same pull gently into the water.... This time, no BANG....nothing, so it seemed.

Then...I noticed that while there was no pressure on my line..it was moving way off to the port side. I hit her as hard as I could and was taken for a mini-sleigh ride on the yak. I loosened the drag to be sure I didn't tear the hook out of her mouth. A minute or two later, she came to the boat, still full of fight. She weighed in a good half pound more than her predecessor! I was allowed to perform another belly landing ( my net was on the shore ).

I lost the black worm on the next fish, which was much smaller. Fishing continued great...but catching was now sorely lacking!... Ha!

Not bad for a shake-down cruise just checking out the rudder installation! Forty five minutes total....a half dozen bass before I paddled home. Sorry no pix. I still don't feel comfortable enough to drag my camera or cell phone out on the water in the "toy yak".

regards, Rich

Good job! I've actually noticed a difference between casting towards the bank and casting on the bank sliding it in the water on some days. I guess when theyre tight to the bank it gives a more natural presentation and less splash to spook em

Great story......you need one of those waterproof cameras like Jay has I saw video that he shot underwater with it. A Canon if I recall correctly.

On Lake Conroe, Texas back in the 80's my ex wife and I were fishing a club tournament. She was using a floating black salamander and missed the edge of the water. It landed on a little sanded area. She pulled it into the water real slow and the water exploded, and she landed a 6 1/2 lb black bass. Was the biggest of the tournament! LOL