To prop or not to prop (or motor)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatlose

Reaction score
Hello, all. I've been doing some research but wanted to get some possibly updated thoughts/advice from you guys.

I have a welded 15' Gregor semi-V with a 70's Johnson 15hp 2-stroke tiller. Rebuilt & reinforced transom.

The boat is loaded down pretty well with gear and 70 lbs in decking, big fishing buddy, etc....and goes about 15 mph according to GPS.

Stock 9.25" x 10" prop. Max RPM the motor hits on the water is 5500 RPM, I believe they are suppose to hit a max of 6500 RPM.

The question: Should I prop down a couple inches in pitch to 9.25" x 8", or just spend my resources and get a 25hp motor? Is the $70 for a new prop going to make me happy? Or is that just too little motor for that boat & loadout? Thanks in advance!

Bonus: I'm also pondering the $3k for a new 20hp EFI Tohatsu, but working on older boat motors doesn't scare me.

Bigger motor!
A 25hp or 30hp should do a good job.

5500 is optimal rpm for that 15hp

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

$70 plus whatever you can get for your 15 right before duck season might get you pretty close to a 25. IMO the 31.8ci OMC was one of, if not the finest outbaord ever produced.

Go bigger. Those 15’s are great motors on a light boat but there is a limit. I’m a big fan of the johnnyrudes. I have owned 20-25-35 from the late 70’s thru 90’s, currently a 1983 35 johnson, and they are great motors. That being said so is the new tohatsu so either way you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk