To Restore or Not to Restore…

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piomarine

Reaction score
I bought a new to me 1957 Alumacraft Deep C runabout. I will be restoring the boat and keeping it a runabout. It came on the original Gator trailer and what I want to know is based one what you see is this trailer worth saving? The tongue is bent about 10° and the trailer was clearly jackknifed at some point in its history.

It looks pretty complete despite needing a new tongue. I have another trailer I could use but to be honest both of them need about the same amount of work. Need opinions from the community.

1698725314247.jpeg

1698725335168.jpeg

1698725366164.jpeg

1698725387062.jpeg

1698725416443.jpeg

1698725435712.jpeg

1698725454003.jpeg

1698726725647.jpeg

Attachments

• 1698726396148.png
    1698726396148.png
    794.6 KB · Views: 2
What kind of shape are the leaf spring shackle bushings and stuff in? Pretty tight or sloppy? The hubs look pretty strange in the pictures, are they serviceable with parts that are available? You can spend quite a bit on that little stuff and quickly diminish any savings over purchasing a replacement.

Can you post pictures of your other trailer?
1698762641513.jpeg

1698762753043.jpeg

1698762781361.jpeg

This one looks a lot better cosmetically, but it was kept outside so there is some corrosion that needs to be dealt with. Also all of the rollers and bunks need replacing. Hubs and leaf springs are good, bearings need to be repacked and it needs to be rewired.

Look for rusted areas that might weaken the structure/ strength of the trailer frame. Weakened frames are the main concern here !! If the frames are solid then which one would be easier ro load and unload your boat from ?
Longer tongues are more prefered to be able to get the boat in the water deep enough, so is one longer than the other ?? You mentioned both need the same amount of work, so....my choice would be the one with the best frame condition, otherwise, toss a coin......heads I win....

Look for rusted areas that might weaken the structure/ strength of the trailer frame. Weakened frames are the main concern here !! If the frames are solid then which one would be easier ro load and unload your boat from ?
Longer tongues are more prefered to be able to get the boat in the water deep enough, so is one longer than the other ?? You mentioned both need the same amount of work, so....my choice would be the one with the best frame condition, otherwise, toss a coin......heads I win....
So when it comes to tongue length since the original needs a new tongue to begin (it’s bent because it was jackknifed) with I can pretty much make it as long as I want lol

So when it comes to tongue length since the original needs a new tongue to begin (it’s bent because it was jackknifed) with I can pretty much make it as long as I want lol
This is an option, and you could even drop in a folding tongue, should you need to for inside storage considerations. However;
What kind of shape are the leaf spring shackle bushings and stuff in? Pretty tight or sloppy? The hubs look pretty strange in the pictures, are they serviceable with parts that are available? You can spend quite a bit on that little stuff and quickly diminish any savings over purchasing a replacement.
I gotta give MrGiggles credit for spotting those hubs. You should check them out before proceeding any further. If they are an oddball, and seals or bearings are difficult to get, then that would call for at least spindle and hub replacements. Check the lug pattern too, to make sure you can get wheels to match up. It could end up being a labor of love, and not be financially favorable.

Just my opine.....Roger

Unless you need a vintage trailer to go with your vintage boat, I'd be thinking hard about the other trailer.
I would like to have the vintage trailer with it especially since I’m also putting a period correct motor on it, but I am not married to the vintage trailer either. If it can be brought back reasonably then I would like to but if it’s going to be more trouble than it’s worth then I have the other one and that’s cool too.

OR....option 3........get the newer trailer usable NOW, and then start slowly restoring and modernizing the old trailer for later. That way, you don't have to drop a wheelbarrow full of money into it in the next month or two, and stretch it out over the next year.

Roger

OR....option 3........get the newer trailer usable NOW, and then start slowly restoring and modernizing the old trailer for later. That way, you don't have to drop a wheelbarrow full of money into it in the next month or two, and stretch it out over the next year.

Roger
This is going to be the play right here!

RESTORE, And the Jeopardy answer is "What is the best way to have a boat, enjoy your boat and not spend a fortune to own a boat?

My trailer needs a lot of work. The last couple of days have been good to me financially so I was thinking of buying a new trailer. Still on the fence about it. Time factor is the issue here. I want to be fishing this spring and really have no clue how long it will take me refurbishing the trailer I now have. Taking the weather and other obstacles into consideration I know rebuilding the old trailer will take longer than I plan. Just going to look into it a bit more before pulling the plug on a new trailer.

My buddy bought a new trailer for her older boat and it was a nightmare. The company she worked with, which does nothing other than sell trailers, couldn't get it right. It took months of waiting and two different trailers to get it so it actually fit her boat. Lost half of last year dealing with it. So fair warning, a new trailer isn't always worth the hassle.

My buddy bought a new trailer for her older boat and it was a nightmare. The company she worked with, which does nothing other than sell trailers, couldn't get it right. It took months of waiting and two different trailers to get it so it actually fit her boat. Lost half of last year dealing with it. So fair warning, a new trailer isn't always worth the hassle.
This trailer I have is not perfect but it’s really adjustable and I think will be the best fit for this little boat.