Transom material

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I like Titebond III, others like Gorilla glue but any waterproof glue should work.
Does the wood slide in between anything like a knee brace or side supports? Those will tell you what thickness you need.

It slides under a lip on the top and there's about 1/4 inch of room

You could make it 1.5" thick and route out the top of the wood to fit under the lip.

Unless you've already glued up two 3/4 inch boards, I'd sandwich a 1/4 in between the two 3/4 inch slabs. Glue it and maybe add some 1+1/2 inch stainless steel screws on alternate sides..to make solid board.

X2 - - -> You could make it 1.5" thick and route out the top of the wood to fit under the lip.

That will also give you a chance to exhibit your woodworking skills !!!
Just make SURE you seal seal SEAL the wood that goes underneath the metal lip.
Not IF, but WHEN water gets in there, and rot starts, you will not see it until it is too late.

richg99 said:
Unless you've already glued up two 3/4 inch boards, I'd sandwich a 1/4 in between the two 3/4 inch slabs. Glue it and maybe add some 1+1/2 inch stainless steel screws on alternate sides..to make solid board.

What's the reason to include the 1/4" board?

Use a piece of 3/4 and a piece of 1/4, don't make it more complicated than it has to be. glue the two together using a good quality waterproof glue and clamp it or weigh it down to press the 2 pieces together on a flat level surface. If you can, fit the wood into place and then pre-drill all the holes you need. Remove it and paint/seal it with a good quality varnish or better yet epoxy and then varnish, include the holes you drilled too. Drill them slightly oversize. then install into boat.