Transom Plugs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Seems there are two basic types and I have a couple of both. Just wondering whatcha guys prefer?

Attachments

• Transom Plugs.jpg
    Transom Plugs.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
I’ve used both. I now use the one on the left in your picture, but don’t really remember ever having issues with the other style.

I use the one on the left. Used the one on the right for a while, but the plate that the lever cams against deformed quickly. The left one seems to use thicker plates and is more robust.

Both styles have worked well for me. The one on the left is easier to cinch up tighter than the lever style and easier to remove it really snug. Currently I use the lever type because that was what was easy to get for my current 5/8" transom drain. I keep spares in the boat and truck.

You guys must not be using the cam style to it's full ability. The handle can be rotated to expand the rubber before you flip the lever. I usually shove the plug in, give it a turn or two, and then flip it. Ain't going anywhere. Unless you're using pliers with the T-handle type, I don't see how they could hold any better.

That, and the design of my boat makes it very difficult to reach the plug from the inside, so I put it in from the outside. I was always worried about the T-handle style snagging something and getting jerked out, the cam style folds up out of the way.

I have had good sucess with both types if adjusted properly !! I currently use both, on my boat there is no acess from the inside so both are external on the transom.
The actual hull drain is right at the lower edge of the hull where I use the little T handle type as using the lever model could swing down and get caught in the fast water comming off the hull, which could cause it to open and come out!!! Can't have that!! The other drain is higher up from the bottom and is a water intake for a livewell I do not use. There is no fast moving water in that area to open the lever. I use the livewell for rod holder and rag storage, and yes accidentally hit the fill switch a couple times filling the livewell....so I plug the intake to keep my stuff dry in case I get clumsy again. Both type plugs work well...so just consider whether you have anything that could cause the snap type to pop open and come out.....

I have used both and they both work. I prefer the screw in the handle type on my xpress because it's only accessible from the outside and I figure there is less chance of that type inadvertently getting snagged somehow or pulled out by something.

Seems there are two basic types and I have a couple of both. Just wondering whatcha guys prefer?
I have used both..... and a couple other thoughts.... I found out that in Minnesota, it's illegal to leave your plug installed after you leave the ramp. I also keep a second plug in my tackle box, and three times, I have been at the ramp when the guy in front of me held up the launching of everyone in line because he couldn't find his plug.... and yes, each time I gave him a plug... They only cost $3-$5 and I would hate to see someone have a bad day, especially if there were kids with the guy, simply because the plug didn't work or it was lost.

I use the one on the left. Used the one on the right for a while, but the plate that the lever cams against deformed quickly. The left one seems to use thicker plates and is more robust.
I just purchased an old boat and was surprised to see it has the type on the left. I found that it was hard to install down in the trough because the cross bar limited the clearance. Every boat I had previously had the plug with the lever. Poke it in, snap it up.

I have the cam lock on the inside access plug style boats, and the T handle on the outside access ones. The latter is only on the tunnel jet, where it is very hard to access from the inside. They are the oem style that came with each of the boats. All are on cables or chains.

You guys must not be using the cam style to it's full ability. The handle can be rotated to expand the rubber before you flip the lever. I usually shove the plug in, give it a turn or two, and then flip it. Ain't going anywhere. Unless you're using pliers with the T-handle type, I don't see how they could hold any better.

That, and the design of my boat makes it very difficult to reach the plug from the inside, so I put it in from the outside. I was always worried about the T-handle style snagging something and getting jerked out, the cam style folds up out of the way.

I do the same with the cam/lever style -- rotate the lever until it is snug then throw the lever. If really tight, it can be difficult to release the lever, but really not that big a deal. That is the only downside I see to the lever style, and it isn't that big a deal.

I also put the plug in from the outside.

I have used both..... and a couple other thoughts.... I found out that in Minnesota, it's illegal to leave your plug installed after you leave the ramp. I also keep a second plug in my tackle box, and three times, I have been at the ramp when the guy in front of me held up the launching of everyone in line because he couldn't find his plug.... and yes, each time I gave him a plug... They only cost $3-$5 and I would hate to see someone have a bad day, especially if there were kids with the guy, simply because the plug didn't work or it was lost.

Yup, out here if you happen to encounter a mussel inspection they will make you pull the plug. Any water comes out and they likely won't let you launch.

I've done the same donating a plug at the ramp. Poor guy had a new old boat and didn't even know a plug was needed. Likely couldn't do it today because the current boat uses an uncommon small sized size plug.

I still have not found the plug that is correct for my 1958 Alumacraft.... and I have written to several marine outfits and Alumacraft... all of them checked with their suppliers and you simply cannot find this thing... Mine works fine, and I went one more step to see what it would take to replace the assembly so I could use a new modern plug.... it isn't difficult, and it isn't expensive but I would like to keep the boat as original as I can so I plan on using this one until I lose it or whatever. I just put my Queen of the Waterways Alumacraft away for the winter and went fishing with my 12 foot Lund last week and it is obvious that we had a weird weather year in Minnesota... so hot... and it seems like it greatly affected fishing this year... worst year I have had in the last decade.... Will start working on the replacement seats for the Queen in a month or so now, after all the summer to winter changeover projects are done... and a PS... I got out the snowblower and "detailed" it this morning..... geez...

I think I used the cam style beyond it's full ability. This is the deformed plate I was talking about.

Screenshot 2023-10-14 153243.jpg

My cam style is now a pain to use because the handle doesn't spin so well against a taco'd plate. It still stays in the boat for emergencies. The T-handle plug is rock solid. I can cinch it up plenty tight and it still pulls out easily at the end of the day.

I like to think I'm not too ham-fisted when it comes to mechanical things, so I was surprised to see it fail. Maybe my plug is just a cheapie. At the end of the day, as long as the plug holds water it's doing its job. Use what ya like.

Yes, there are cheap plugs and better quality plugs ! Due to the added leverage of that long lever vs. the small crossbar, the lever plug can be over tightened without realizing it. I know, I have done it myself on a few ocassions.

I keep mine in the boat tied to a piece of thin rope long enough to be installed so it's never lost

I've been installing mine from the inside. I figure it can't really fall out and if it does it's not going far.

To the guy with a weird sized plug. Couldn't you whittle down a chunk of rubber and drill a hole in it to make a custom size? Maybe try a science supply house. Back in HS we had a lot of different size stoppers for various beakers, test tubes.

I still have not found the plug that is correct for my 1958 Alumacraft.... and I have written to several marine outfits and Alumacraft... all of them checked with their suppliers and you simply cannot find this thing... Mine works fine, and I went one more step to see what it would take to replace the assembly so I could use a new modern plug.... it isn't difficult, and it isn't expensive but I would like to keep the boat as original as I can so I plan on using this one until I lose it or whatever. I just put my Queen of the Waterways Alumacraft away for the winter and went fishing with my 12 foot Lund last week and it is obvious that we had a weird weather year in Minnesota... so hot... and it seems like it greatly affected fishing this year... worst year I have had in the last decade.... Will start working on the replacement seats for the Queen in a month or so now, after all the summer to winter changeover projects are done... and a PS... I got out the snowblower and "detailed" it this morning..... geez...

Curious, what is unique about the Alumacraft plug?