Holes in transom repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Jr.

Reaction score
20240121_100252.jpg

I have two bolt holes in my transom and tried to repair them with JB Weld didn't work. Any other suggestions thoughts for permanent fix?

For any type of filler to work, you need to put a nice chamfer/ taper around that hole. You could use a ball pein hammer to create a crater so the filler has surface to grab onto. Fillers won't hold onto the edge of a hole, it needs surface area. No, gluvit is to thin, you need a thicker filler to work.

For any type of filler to work, you need to put a nice chamfer/ taper around that hole. You could use a ball pein hammer to create a crater so the filler has surface to grab onto. Fillers won't hold onto the edge of a hole, it needs surface area. No, gluvit is to thin, you need a thicker filler to work.
Would 3m 5200 work ?

Why not put some filler in the holes and add a bolt in each hole with a rubber washer and a metal washer on both sides of the hole. Cut off the remaining overhang of the bolt and I doubt it will ever be an issue as a leak.
This! Those are decent size holes use a bolt that barely fits with a good washer and some filler.

Unless I did not understand, the poster did not want to drill thru, the backing does not have a hole, whatever the material might be. At least there doesn't appear to be a thru hole. Correct me if I am wrong.....

I had an issue where I could not get to the other side so I drilled the hole for a 1/4-28 tap. Tapped the hole and then coated a truss headed bolt with red loctite and threaded it in. No more hole.

Unless I did not understand, the poster did not want to drill thru, the backing does not have a hole, whatever the material might be. At least there doesn't appear to be a thru hole. Correct me if I am wrong.....
If this is the case, drop some solder into it, let cool and sand/file down.

I would most likely use a bolt with 5200 or epoxy as mentioned above. If you don't want to thru-drill or tap the hole, you could do the same with a screw. Or you could weld it, if it means enough to you.

I've done all three in various situations.

What were those holes for? A tow eye? If for a tow-eye, put another one back in. Those come in handy for various reasons.

I would most likely use a bolt with 5200 or epoxy as mentioned above. If you don't want to thru-drill or tap the hole, you could do the same with a screw. Or you could weld it, if it means enough to you.

I've done all three in various situations.

What were those holes for? A tow eye? If for a tow-eye, put another one back in. Those come in handy for various reasons.
Those holes were from a transom plate mounted on the exterior. I have recently replaced the transom board and repaired unwanted holes in the transom. I'm trying to repair the last two holes without drilling anymore holes in my transom board with JB marine weld epoxy. It seems to be staying in place really well. I will sand smooth and repaint with total boat aluminum paint. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It's epoxy. I think they call it liquid steel for marketing. Never caused any problems in any of my boats. I've used it many times. It's good stuff.

I've used JB Weld on aluminum engine cases before without any issues. That stuff seems to work on everything!