Transom Saver? To be, or not to be? That is the question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntofish

Reaction score
I had this question answered on our first trip out. After getting everthing loaded and prepped, I was setting up the transom saver and my wife asked what that was for why I would spend forty dollars for that. I quickly explained the benefits and we headed East for June Lake on the backside of Yosemite Park. Starting off at dawn and getting into the foothills on a two lane highway, my wife spots a good size buck getting ready to cross the road. I slowed down and watched him cross and go over a small barbed wire fence. Right after we passed the spot he went by, I felt the rig the lurch and immediately thought I hit a pot hole that I didn't see. My son in the back seat looking out the back window yelled, "Dad you hit a deer!!!". I responded," No way, Mom and I both saw him jump the fence.". We pulled over to inspect the rig. There were no marks on the truck or boat. The hanging licinse plate bracket was broken off, and the plate was missing. Upon further inspection, we saw blood and hair on the driver's side leaf spring knuckle wher it attatches to the frame.My son says: "Hey look at all the bood splatter on the shaft of transom saver and foot of the Yamaha outboard. We circled back and picked up the license plate on the road. The deer was dead and on the side of the highway. He was a mess. What a pity. He had a beautiful set of antlers. They are not the brightest creatures on the planet. It is a total mystery how he got under our trailer. It may have been a second deer we did not see coming. We were going about 40 mph when this happened. After launching the boat, I thoroughly inspected the trailer and found no damage. I rebuilt this trailer from the ground up with new wheels and wider and taller tires. Without the transom saver, I'm convinced that the deer would have hit the motor and ruined it and probably the boat as well. It maybe the best 40 bucks I've spent so far. The wife and son think I'm pretty smart. Little do they know, the majority of my knowledge come from reading this forum. Shhhhhhh.

Transom saver or not you killed that deer because you saw one and did not slow for the next. Deer run in herds. If you see one than expect another and slow down. Maybe you did not know but you should have or do now. [-X

Two points in response. First, I did slow down in plenty of time to let the deer cross in front of us. The three of us in the truck were looking ahead and did not spot any other deer. There was plenty of time for the deer we did see to double back,(which they will do). He did not stike my truck, only the trailer. This could have happened at any speed, which could have badly injured him rather than a quick death. I would prefer the second. I grew drivin in Minnesota and Wisconsin so I am aware of their behavior. I am a cautious driver and never reckless in any vehicle, especially with my family aboard.
Secondly, my point of the story was the benefit of the transom saver, regardless of the item that passed under my trailer.