Trolling motor battery issue!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotchess

Reaction score
I have a Minn Kota 30at trolling motor and it is running on a 12v deep cycle marine battery.

I bet I got about 2 hours of run time on it the other day before it crapped out!

What am I missing here???

The battery was charged to 100% when I left the house! I am only pulling a modified 14 foot jon boat!!

What gives???????

First...how old is your battery? What type of charger do you have? Have you checked the water levels? Check them, and if they are low, top the battery off with distilled water. Next, if you don't have one, get yourself a good charger/maintainer/rejuvenator (sometimes referred to as a "smart charger")...I have a "Save A Battery" brand which works great, but there are many brands. They are floating chargers, that bring your battery up to the proper voltage, idle themselves, and then come on when the voltage drops below a certain threshold to, not only maintain the voltage but, prevent sulfates from depositing on the plates...you leave them on all the time when you're not using the battery. They also can "recondition" the battery, by using pulse technology to remove existing sulfates from the plates. My brother-in-law's trolling motor batteries were running about 5 hours (2 12's in parallel) when he bought a "smart charger"...now the same batteries last for 13 hours. Hope this helps!

Whats the Ah rating on your battery?
Are you running wide open for 2 hours?
Is it totally dead or just dying?
Plus what the above post asked.
Might be getting what your supposed to,seems alittle shy though.