Used Outboard Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoopbass said:
Give this guy a call. He seems to be fairly priced is only 1 1/2 hrs from you.
https://dayton.craigslist.org/boa/2253685918.html
I have been in contact with that guy. He is currently out of all his 9-10 hp motors. He said he has another lot of motors coming from Detroit next week but he dosnt know what he has coming. I actually spoke with a dealer in the Dayton area today who also mentioned this fellow. He told me he is a genuine guy who wouldnt ever lie about his motors and sells them all at reasonable prices.

I may have found a winner. 1977 Evinrude 9.9 with a 15 hp carb ( I know I wanted to stay away from modded motors but I can always put a 9.9 carb on it if I get in trouble). Low hours, electric start, hydrofoil, 6 gal tank and 3 gal tank and an engine stand/dolly. He said the electronic ignition modules were just replaced too. He wants $450. I tried to get him to come down to 400 but he wont budge. I'm waiting on a reply to see if I can come see it this weekend. He says it cranks right up and he's willing to demo it.

Sound like a fair price if everything is good?

BassBlaster said:
I may have found a winner. 1977 Evinrude 9.9 with a 15 hp carb ( I know I wanted to stay away from modded motors but I can always put a 9.9 carb on it if I get in trouble). Low hours, electric start, hydrofoil, 6 gal tank and 3 gal tank and an engine stand/dolly. He said the electronic ignition modules were just replaced too. He wants $450. I tried to get him to come down to 400 but he wont budge. I'm waiting on a reply to see if I can come see it this weekend. He says it cranks right up and he's willing to demo it.

That would be a fair deal here in Minnesota.

Anyway, here's a lot of good maintenance info for that motor. Good luck.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm

jasper60103 said:
BassBlaster said:

That would be a fair deal here in Minnesota.

Anyway, here's a lot of good maintenance info for that motor. Good luck.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm
I think i read that whole site lasy night after I found the motor, lol.

The guy with the 57 Johnson finally sent some pics. This thing is amazingly clean for a 54 year old motor!! Still think I should pass?

57Johnson1.jpg

57Johnson2.jpg

I'm picking it up this weekend. Its way to purty to let slip by!!

Hi!! I don't have that particular problem, but I have a few lakes that I like to fish that are limited in HP. I have a 15 HP Johnson that just runs and runs. So, when it comes to one of those lakes I whip out my cowl with the 9.9 decals on it. Man that motor just runs and runs.....!

If it looks as good in person as it does in the picture....check compression and lower unit lube and if both check good I would not walk away without it. Does the tank look as good as the motor? I always like to cut price, but if the motor and tank both look that good I doubt that he will cut and I would not try to cut him too much. I think you may have found what you are looking for....still I caution check compression and lower unit lube for water or alot of metal shavings, some is expected, but no big hunks or anything other than a small amount of fine metal. If it has good compression and lower unit you can put the coils, condenser, points, plugs, plug wires and impeller in that motor yourself for about $80.00. Not hard to do at all if you have a few tools and it will run like a new one when you get done. I just ordered points, plugs and impeller for a 56 model Johnson 15 hp this morning I just wished it looked that good. There is a elderly boat motor mechanic here in town and he has one just like the one you are looking at on his personal 14' flatbottom, he bought it several years ago and will not even price it. It was low hours original paint and looks like a new one.

Nice Find :mrgreen:

Flintcreek

BassBlaster said:
The guy with the 57 Johnson finally sent some pics. This thing is amazingly clean for a 54 year old motor!! Still think I should pass?

I'm picking it up this weekend. Its way to purty to let slip by!!

Yep, she sure is purty.

flintcreek said:
If it looks as good in person as it does in the picture....check compression and lower unit lube and if both check good I would not walk away without it. Does the tank look as good as the motor? I always like to cut price, but if the motor and tank both look that good I doubt that he will cut and I would not try to cut him too much. I think you may have found what you are looking for....still I caution check compression and lower unit lube for water or alot of metal shavings, some is expected, but no big hunks or anything other than a small amount of fine metal. If it has good compression and lower unit you can put the coils, condenser, points, plugs, plug wires and impeller in that motor yourself for about $80.00. Not hard to do at all if you have a few tools and it will run like a new one when you get done. I just ordered points, plugs and impeller for a 56 model Johnson 15 hp this morning I just wished it looked that good. There is a elderly boat motor mechanic here in town and he has one just like the one you are looking at on his personal 14' flatbottom, he bought it several years ago and will not even price it. It was low hours original paint and looks like a new one.

Nice Find :mrgreen:

Flintcreek
Yep, it looks just as good in person!! The tank looks to be in perfect condition on the inside and seems to build pressure okay. The exterior isnt as nice as the motor buts its really not all that bad either. The lower unit checks out fine and the compression was 85 pounds on each cylinder. I bought it and I just placed an order on iboats for all the ignition parts, card rebuild kit and water pump rebuild kit. Hopefully, I'll have this baby runnin by next weekend but we'll see!!

Incredibly good looking engine!! That is a 1956 engine, not a 1957 however! The color was different (lighter) plus the round "10" emblem on the sides is raised and has the 4 points on it which were on the 1956 model year only. I would buy that thing in a heartbeat! That is not an engine to beat up or leave out in the weather. Standard automotive waxes will help preserve the finish for you. Am betting once you have this one that the bug will hit and you will have to find another and another................ GREAT FIND!! CONGRATS!! Also betting you will be amazed at how many conversations will be started at the boat ramp by you showing up with that engine. Some of those lead to more finds like that.

Yes sir, you are correct, it is a 56. I found that out after a little research. However, nymarine.com lists the color for 56,57 and 58 models years as the same (Holiday Bronze). I guess the site could be wrong, I dunno.

I have allready caught the bug, Ive been scanning CL for other motors from 56 and 57. I think it would be cool to get a whole collection of the same year. Maybe everything made from 18hp and smaller. Cant wait to get this baby going and show her off at the boat ramps!!

The color for the 1957 Johnsons was definitely darker, had more brown tones in it. The '56 and '58 colors were lighter and had more red tones. Go to AOMCI.org and become a member of that group and look around, think it's $50 for a two year membership and then start going to some of the local chapter meets. In your area of the country they have a couple dry meets in the colder months and several wet meets per year. Tons of old iron there. Just don't step on your tongue looking at all of it! Here's a shot of one of my 1957 35hp engines. Can probably see the darker color in the photo?

IMG_0765-1.jpg

And another of a 1957 18hp.

TL157.jpg

I have been to that site and looked around. I may join up in the future if I decide to buy some more motors. I sure am loving this old thing!!

Those are definately darker than mine. Couple good looking motors you got there!!

hardwatergrampa said:
i have that same 10hp in the back yard , dont have the hoses to run it was going to do the change over but never did
Sad.... :cry: ......those old motors are the best. I was able to find hose and all parts for my 56 15 hp at O'Reilly Auto Parts - and they only had to order a coil - everything else was in stock.

Awesome find on that motor!! No way you could beat that - if my 15 hp looked that good, I'd be afraid to take it to the lake....might even keep it in the house with it's own room and nice cozy bed to sleep in!! :lol:

imgonnamissher said:
hardwatergrampa said:
Awesome find on that motor!! No way you could beat that - if my 15 hp looked that good, I'd be afraid to take it to the lake....might even keep it in the house with it's own room and nice cozy bed to sleep in!! :lol:
Ive gotten lots of comments like that from everyone that see's this thing but sorry guys, I plan to put this on my boat and run it like any other motor. Just dosnt seem right to fix her all up then hang her on a stand just to look at. She's done been penned up for many years. She wants to go to the lake and I wanna take her there!!! Cant wait to get the boat done and see how she does on the water!!

BassBlaster said:
imgonnamissher said:
hardwatergrampa said:
Ive gotten lots of comments like that from everyone that see's this thing but sorry guys, I plan to put this on my boat and run it like any other motor. Just dosnt seem right to fix her all up then hang her on a stand just to look at. She's done been penned up for many years. She wants to go to the lake and I wanna take her there!!! Cant wait to get the boat done and see how she does on the water!!

And I think you are going to find out that you are soon to be another victim of a terrible drug that get's a lot of us who love boats: Vintage OMC motor addiction. It's a serious disease and, if it goes untreated, can lead to more fun, enjoyment, pride, and old motors than any one person should have. When you reach the point, keep the fun, enjoyment, and pride, and I can help you with the excess of old motors. :lol:

I'm sure you're gonna love it. Just remember always 24:1 on the gas/oil mixture (no matter what anyone tells you). If you would like some good pointers in installing the new points and coils, check out the threads over at iboats.com. There are a lot of old timers over there that know those motors better than the guys who built them. They can walk you through any problems you might have and are a great group to learn from and just talk with. (I'm not saying that peopl here don't know them, I just haven't been to the motor pages on tinboats yet (I was recruited in from iboats and found this site more appropriate for my kind of boat).

Latest posts