Vids of some fast Mo. boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Blue Rude

Reaction score
Here's a couple vids of my boat running a 60hp etec and a 60hp johnson. 1000ft drag up river.
this is the johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeEiDHMNFk
This is the etec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqKipcwZXT0

Lil' Blue Rude said:
Here's a couple vids of my boat running a 60hp etec and a 60hp johnson. 1000ft drag up river.
this is the johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeEiDHMNFk
This is the etec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqKipcwZXT0

Why all the porpoising...can you not trim that out?

The "porposing" gains speed. The less the boat is in the water the less drag it has. On a GPS, it will usually gain 1.5-3 mph.

not recomended for cruising (like riding a bucking bull)

turne032 said:
The "porposing" gains speed. The less the boat is in the water the less drag it has. On a GPS, it will usually gain 1.5-3 mph.

Makes total sense now. Thanks.

That little boat is a screamer, most people step out of it and say wow, didn't think it would run that fast and most people that race it say I thought I would walk off and leave that, they only say that if they don't get beat! Nice video's rude.

Thanks Guys. :)
I can keep it from bouncing but it runs faster when I'm bouncing it. You notice i'm not bouncing very bad when I runthe etec. :mrgreen: He never stood a chance, kinda felt bad after I run him. :oops: But it always puts a smile on my face to watch it run and see people reactions. I'm very happy and very proud of my boat and what I've been able to do with it in the past 2 years of hot rodding it.

Rumor is that that 60 motor beat the blue motor by 3 boat lengths but that doesen't look like 3 boat lengths to me!

Was the Johnson stock? I'm surprised the Etec was that much slower than the Johnson. My buddies each had the same model boat (1860 Legend Flatbass) and a 150 Etec and a 150 Johnson on the back. The etec would beat the Johnson easily. My boat will run with the 1860/150 Johnson actually.

I'll have to try GPS'ing mine with it porpoising like in your video and see if it does any better.

The johnson is built bad to the bone. That boat was the talk of the river this year. Everyone was shocked I came that close to it. Been alot closer if he'd been driven his own boat instead of throwing the guy that's half his size and raced more then anyone on the river in it.

The etec was suppose to be stock. I don't know but it run better then any etec I'd seen before. Definetly wasn't a 40mph boat though. I figured you'd be shocked the 40hp evinrude beat it that bad.

Just got to watchin the videos again and realized I'm about 3-4 seconds slower racing the etec because I wasn't bouncing it like the I was when I raced the Johnson. Quite a bit of diffrence. :? neat.

I wish I knew something about engine work, but I am mechanically UNinclined! It would be fun to have a small boat like yours just to beat the pants off bigger boats around here. How fast did you say your boat would run again?

Seth said:
It would be fun to have a small boat like yours just to beat the pants off bigger boats around here. How fast did you say your boat would run again?
It's great!! First guy I ever race mouthed about how bad he was going to beat me.He said," Get this kid a box of tissues because he's gonna need them when I beat him so bad he'll be crying" Should have seen everyone making fun of him telling him he almost got beat by a 40hp on a .80 gauge boat.
My boats running in the low 40's. Best speed to date is 43mph. got that a few weeks after I took the videos. Hoping to get 45mph by next summer. I gotta do something productive with my free time, might as well make my boat faster. :mrgreen: :lol:

How do you get those things to bounce like that? My boat just seems to rev up and not go very fast once I get it a hair to high. Is it a weigh issue? I do have a 24 gallon fuel tank, and two if not three 12v batteries in the back most of the time.

I'd say it is a weight issue. I've got all my weight in the back. I've got may seats on the back bench and my gas tank and battery behind my bench. The more weight you can get toward the back the more the boat can come out of the water in the front and the faster you'll go. That and you have to have the power to pick the front of the boat up.

turne032 said:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, theoreticly it seems the boat crashing back into the water would slow it down vs. finding the fine spot on trim right before it porposes. I've never seen a boat set up like that.

Mine when it was porposing felt wilder but not really faster. When I trim the nose up with the tabs it feels faster and more responsive but runs deeper in the rear. My goofing off video has the tabs trimmed up. My other videos have the tabs flat and it runs shallower like that.

Intersting stuff
Jamie

Lil' Blue Rude said:
I'd say it is a weight issue. I've got all my weight in the back. I've got may seats on the back bench and my gas tank and battery behind my bench. The more weight you can get toward the back the more the boat can come out of the water in the front and the faster you'll go. That and you have to have the power to pick the front of the boat up.

Well most of my weight is towards the back. Would the trim tabs keep my boat from hopping like that as well?

(That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, theoreticly it seems the boat crashing back into the water would slow it down vs. finding the fine spot on trim right before it porposes. I've never seen a boat set up like that.

Mine when it was porposing felt wilder but not really faster. When I trim the nose up with the tabs it feels faster and more responsive but runs deeper in the rear. My goofing off video has the tabs trimmed up. My other videos have the tabs flat and it runs shallower like that.)

it is a balancing act. There is a point to which you bounce too hard and it does slow you down. Its hard to explain without actually showing you. When some boats bounce, you can feel the boat rise out of the water and lunge forward, this is when it runs at the most optimal. Some boats just feel as if the boats bow sit there and slap the water, this does nothing for performance. You can over trim to where you suck air in the pump and you are hitting the water so hard it slows your momentum. but in theory, water causes friction. the more time the boat is in water, the more friction it fights. in an 800 ft race, if you could measure the time the boat is out of the water, it reduces the amount of friction.

I do understand your thoughts as the boat hits the water more violently causes more friction than a smooth ride. its a constant give and take to what works best.

p.s. all of the speed records were not done on lakes or rivers that were glass smooth. they needed a little chop in the water to create air to get more lift.

Ranchero, Outboards are a whole diffrent beast than your inboard.
Seth, The trim tabs probably effect how the boat drives and could be keeping your boat from bouncing to, that combined with the weight.( That and you automatically lose 5mph because you bought your boat from Cow Town :mrgreen: :lol: )
Turner032 explained it in a nut shell. If you trim to far and get it to bounce to hard it will slow you down. find the happy point and go fast. :mrgreen: Gps'd my boat and other and they always get the fastest speeds when they find that fine line of bouncing.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
Ranchero, Outboards are a whole diffrent beast than your inboard.
Seth, The trim tabs probably effect how the boat drives and could be keeping your boat from bouncing to, that combined with the weight.( That and you automatically lose 5mph because you bought your boat from Cow Town :mrgreen: :lol: )
Turner032 explained it in a nut shell. If you trim to far and get it to bounce to hard it will slow you down. find the happy point and go fast. :mrgreen: Gps'd my boat and other and they always get the fastest speeds when they find that fine line of bouncing.

Well at least I can blame my slow boat on them and not be accountable. :mrgreen:

Latest posts