voltmeter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnortherns

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a cheap voltmeter or voltage gauge?

I often run electric only, it would be nice to wire into the trolling motor - battery circuit a voltmeter. Ideally it wouldn't cost too much and would be passive or nearly so, i.e. not drawing much current.

Some nice wiring panels probably have this feature built-in, but I'd like to find a standalone version. I've searched and found several but they all cost much more than I'd be happy paying for such a simple device (such is life).

A quick search at bass pro shows voltmeters around $25. I think $25 is too much for what I'd use it for. I already have a multimeter that does this out of circuit, so if I could find a voltage meter to wire inline for much less than $25 I'd be content with that.

Remember, half of what you pay retail goes to the retailer... So how much value do you get out of a $13 voltmeter?

I will not recommend a Sun baseline product. Put them in a friend's shed protected '63 Nuffield tractor and the gauges failed.

I will recommend that what ever guage you get, keep it in some kind of an enclosure to avoid moisture.

A quick ebay search for 'marine voltmeter' brings up a lot of good names for around $25, at least half the cost of retail...

https://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=marine+voltmeter&_sacat=0&_odkw=autometer+voltmeter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Jamie

PS, my Lowrance depth sounder / fish finder has a voltmeter in it, does yours?

I PUT ONE IN MY BOAT FROM OREILLYS AUTO PARTS, AND I LOVE IT THINK IT WAS 20 BUCKS, BUT ITS SEALED, LIGHTED, A REAL NICE GAUGE GONNA BUY ANOTHER FOR MY OTHER BATTERY IN THE BOAT

Thanks for the replies. I figured a voltmeter would be cheap since a multimeter can do so much more and basic versions of multimeters can be had for $20 or less. But......I should have factored in the in-circuit reliability. The prices you're all suggesting seem reasonable now.

Ranchero50 said:
PS, my Lowrance depth sounder / fish finder has a voltmeter in it, does yours?

Exactly, my Garmin fishfinder has a voltmeter. I usually run the fishfinder off a separate battery, however it was the voltmeter included with the fishfinder that made me think a standalone version must be available for a reasonable price.

I have a little hand-held battery tester that I keep in the boat, but rarely ever use. My Humminbird has a built in metre but it runs on its own dedicated battery.

Latest posts