Wassup Brine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poolie said:
Brine, one tip for ya. Make liberal use of your digital camera before you take the carb apart and during the disassemble process. There's nothing like having tons of pictures of it when you're scratching your head wondering how a part goes back on.

Good idea.

Thanks Poolie.

Quick update.

Have replaced the plugs, and put on a new rope.

And as many of you had assumed... The carb rebuild did the trick. =D>

Seems to run fine and dandy (in the backyard anyway) now. While removing the starter, I noticed that a guide rod was installed incorrectly and fixed that too. Also, my manual said not to lube any parts of the starter, and there was apparently grease put all over it at some point, so cleaned all of that. The motor looks kinda rough on the outside, so I will be painting it eventually, and hope to put it on the lake soon. I also need to fab or buy the knob that adjusts the lean/rich adjustment.

This motor is intended for my new rig, but is there anything wrong with putting a long shaft motor like this on a short transom? The new rig is not ready for the lake, but I'd like to put it on my v-hull for my next tourney and to test out the motor at WOT.

Thanks

I havn't looked back but I'm thinking this outboard was around a 9.9hp?
At any rate,it's going to be further in the water...watch for rocks.It won't handle the best but should give you a good idea on how it will run/idle.You might have to use the tilt pin to find where it might run half desent.

Thanks Zum.

It's a 7.5

Other than creating a little more drag than usual, it sounds like it will be ok. And yes, I'll have to make sure to be more aware of shallow water.

Aside from the extra drag, which will often produce more of a speed difference than you would think, you might have the issue of water splashing back into the boat. Other than that, you are set. Good luck!

Loggerhead Mike said:
what type of motor? i got a few parts here and there if i got a knob that will work its yours

It's a 1981 Johnson 7.5 SeaHorse

I put a broken off piece of a bic pin on it for now :lol: just so I can adjust it easily on the lake.

104_1550.jpg

BB,

What about it being a long shaft on a short transom causes water to splash into the boat?

While I personally never have experienced it (I have never mismatched shaft lengths, generally because I usually have enough boats to have both shaft lengths available), I have heard that depending on hull shape, and gearcase shape, the cavitation plate and front of gearcase will splash water back towards the boat. It isn't enough to need to crank the bilge pump, just enough to splash you a little bit, and on a cool morning, make you a little uncomfortable.

Got to test the motor out on the lake on Saturday, and it ran great. Cranked on the first pull each time throughout the day, and ran smooth all day. Never experienced any "splash-back", but then again, we couldn't really run it for more than a few seconds at wide open because the hull was plowing through the chop on the water and taking water in at the bow. It probably ran a tad faster than my short shaft 5hp although I didn't gps it, and I figured the drag from the long shaft had some effect on it's overall top speed.

Needless to say, I wanted to end this thread by making sure that Scott (if still reading) read my final update. Thanks for your generosity and I assure you this motor will be put to good use. I look forward to putting the motor on my new rig someday. Hopefully, the next thing that happens to it will be a paint job and pics will be in my Rhyan Craft thread.

Brine