Wearing an 'Ignition Kill Lanyard' now MANDATORY on 'newer' boats < 26'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Link = https://www.boatus.com/news-room/release/new-boat-engine-cutoff-switch-law-goes-into-e and https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-switch-faq.php

One must now have equipped and use an engine cutoff switches (ECOS).

Note - Applies when traveling up on plane or at speeds exceeding displacement speed.

Exemptions -
  • Low-speed activities such as fishing or docking do not require use of an ECOS.
  • The vessel operator is also exempt if the boat’s motor produces less than 115 lbs. of static thrust – or about the size of a 2hp engine.
  • Boats < 26' that were built prior to JAN 2020.

Limitations - As this is a Federal law, States do not have the ability to enforce the new ECOS regulation, but as of the time of this post, 7 States currently mandate ECOS use.

No ... this is NOT an April Fool's joke, although the legislation goes into effect on 01 April, 2021.

Good change, I try to use mine if my boat is going faster than I can swim. That means if it is moving.

I can see this being a good idea. I've been on a small vessel that we were thrown from while the tiller was at full tilt. Very old Evinrude that didn't have a working return spring for the throttle. Boat was wrangled by some very daring jetski cowboys.

My 21' very deep V Sylvan Profish I almost never wear the lanyard, but it's a good idea and I should.

There is almost no way this will be enforced. When I got my first boat with a real motor, my Crestliner with an inboard, I got my Boater Education Certification as it's required here in NH to operate anything exceeding 25hp. Since then, like 7 years ago, I have never ever, not once been asked to present my certification. Not even when I've been checked by Fish and Game for my fishing license. It seems these boating laws are really only meant to punish people after the fact like after they get in an accident or if they get another violation.

jethro said:
I can see this being a good idea. I've been on a small vessel that we were thrown from while the tiller was at full tilt. Very old Evinrude that didn't have a working return spring for the throttle. Boat was wrangled by some very daring jetski cowboys.

My 21' very deep V Sylvan Profish I almost never wear the lanyard, but it's a good idea and I should.

There is almost no way this will be enforced. When I got my first boat with a real motor, my Crestliner with an inboard, I got my Boater Education Certification as it's required here in NH to operate anything exceeding 25hp. Since then, like 7 years ago, I have never ever, not once been asked to present my certification. Not even when I've been checked by Fish and Game for my fishing license. It seems these boating laws are really only meant to punish people after the fact like after they get in an accident or if they get another violation.

Going a little off track here. Been fishing for 60 years. I've never been asked for a fishing license. California implemented the Boater's education card. Doing it by age tier. I think I'll have to get it in 2025.

LDUBS said:
Going a little off track here. Been fishing for 60 years. I've never been asked for a fishing license. California implemented the Boater's education card. Doing it by age tier. I think I'll have to get it in 2025.

Oh wow, that surprising how different it is there. I get checked at least 2 or 3 times a season depending on how much ice fishing I do over the winter. They are out on sleds all the time and it's real easy to check a bunch of people in a day on the ice.

jethro said:
LDUBS said:

Oh wow, that surprising how different it is there. I get checked at least 2 or 3 times a season depending on how much ice fishing I do over the winter. They are out on sleds all the time and it's real easy to check a bunch of people in a day on the ice.

Well, I guess for the early years I was young enough not to need a license. And later on, the game wardens probably figured guys with a boat were probably OK. In between that time, what can I say other than I must have an honest face! Haha

LDUBS said:
Well, I guess for the early years I was young enough not to need a license. And later on, the game wardens probably figured guys with a boat were probably OK. In between that time, what can I say other than I must have an honest face! Haha

Probably just a different mindset in general. Here in NH, Fish and Game is pretty blatant about it being a cash grab about a lot of things. They are constantly complaining about hurting for money yet if you are in the outdoors for any length of time- you will see "the green ghost" as he is sometimes called! So for an agency that is financially hurting it seems there are a LOT of officers out there. When snowmobiling for a day in Northern NH it is not uncommon to see 6 to 10 of them over the course of the day.

jethro said:
LDUBS said:

Probably just a different mindset in general. Here in NH, Fish and Game is pretty blatant about it being a cash grab about a lot of things. They are constantly complaining about hurting for money yet if you are in the outdoors for any length of time- you will see "the green ghost" as he is sometimes called! So for an agency that is financially hurting it seems there are a LOT of officers out there. When snowmobiling for a day in Northern NH it is not uncommon to see 6 to 10 of them over the course of the day.

To be honest, the last time I remember seeing a DFW warden was at a sportsman's show about 5 years ago. They were manning a booth. I think we have less than 400 wardens. That isn't a lot for a state this size I suppose.

LDUBS said:
I think we have less than 400 wardens. That isn't a lot for a state this size I suppose.

Not surprised, as you are in KaliFornia ... youse don't even have enough Cops for the other '2-legged animals' out there ... :shock: !

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:
I think we have less than 400 wardens. That isn't a lot for a state this size I suppose.

Not surprised, as you are in KaliFornia ... youse don't even have enough Cops for the other '2-legged animals' out there ... :shock: !

Yep. Seems like the new way to deal with problems like crime is to declare them not crimes. #-o

Although not really enforced much they do check for it out here. Mine's on when I'm motoring. I learned the hard way many years ago duck hunting in January on the Arkansas River (west of Toad Suck). Hit a log and came out of the boat in freezing water. Remember on tin boats you're usually sitting on the top of a platform of some sort (unless you have a console or stick steer) and when/if you hit something its a lot easier to be thrown overboard. Luckily for us, when I came out, I must have also turned the motor just right. It idled in circles for a little while, enough for us to get back to the boat and shut it down by yanking on the lanyard that was dangling over the transom. Climbed back in, went back to the truck and went home. We were real lucky that day.