Weldcraft factory pod angle!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the boat rated for, 35 or 40hp? My guess is too much weight on the transom/rear seat even with pods. The hydrofoil will help, but it's just a bandaid masking the problem of weight distribution. Have someone sit on the front deck and see if things work better. That will give you an idea of how much forward weight you need.

my experience was with a completely different setup, but bear with me. when i worked in south florida we were running fiberglass, center console boats in everything from mudflats to shallow river to open ocean. we got up on plane w/ the motor trimmed all the way down. once on plane, we trimmed the motor up till the boat started to porpoise then backed it down just enough to stop it. this trim setting gave us the most efficient running position. our jack plates were used after our trim was set and the water started to get skinny. i'd start with adjusting your trim setting down a little at a time till the porposing stops.

My weldcraft 1870 runs exactly like you describe. Similar looking pods. These things don't really have any weight up front so they need very little nose up trim.

I've got 115 hp and it still isn't what anyone would call fast. It is what it is.

Two ways to stop the porposing but do the same thing. Knock a hook into the rear of the pods or weld a bead across the rear of the pods. It will force the bow down and will not bouce anymore. I have always had a nice weld added. Then you can grind it down to find the sweet spot.

Some of the guys that race tinboats knock a hook into the rear corners of their hulls. I tried that one time but was a pain to get just right. And it works awesome if you get it right.

Lowe 2070 CC said:
What is the boat rated for, 35 or 40hp? My guess is too much weight on the transom/rear seat even with pods. The hydrofoil will help, but it's just a bandaid masking the problem of weight distribution. Have someone sit on the front deck and see if things work better. That will give you an idea of how much forward weight you need.

It's rated for a 60... Had them angled up 2 degrees and she will float the nose and got it running nice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,018
Good deal! Power wasn't my thought, motor weight was. You'd think Weldcraft would have already addressed this issue.

Those are definitely OEM pods. Just like the ones on my W-C 1652. They have the little "Wings" facing inward half way up.

Question; 75HP on a 60HP rated hull, who did you get insurance with? Progressive?

Latest posts