What am I ?? do you know ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
oldboat said:
here are a few more photos my friend took on his phone.. the first two you can see the ghost remains of " Detroit Police " on the side of the hull..

Oh funny, you and I have something in common, we both own prior law enforcement boats! Found this when I peeled off some of the old reg stickers:

2477-M.jpg

Wow !! that's pretty cool !! I'm trying to find any history on this boat as a police boat.. I'm not really knowing where to start.. I'm trying the Detroit Historical society for a start, but maybe the DMV can trace it through the registration numbers.. it would be nice if I could find some photos of it with police markings !!

I spoke with my dad who had the "single sticker" registration numbers made for his new boat. He did it through Boat U.S.:

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-services/boat-lettering

It does not appear that you need to be a member to buy their products, you just don't get the member discount.

zuren said:
I spoke with my dad who had the "single sticker" registration numbers made for his new boat. He did it through Boat U.S.:

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-services/boat-lettering

It does not appear that you need to be a member to buy their products, you just don't get the member discount.

Way Cool !! thank you zuren !!

When I had my registration numbers made, they came on a backing sheet that held them all inline and spaced correctly. Spritz the hull with soapy water, peel backing off the sticky side, apply, align and squeegee out any bubbles. Then gently pull off the backing sheet.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
When I had my registration numbers made, they came on a backing sheet that held them all inline and spaced correctly. Spritz the hull with soapy water, peel backing off the sticky side, apply, align and squeegee out any bubbles. Then gently pull off the backing sheet.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks Weldor !! it will be a ways off yet but I appreciate it !!

This is a great thread! I just read all 11 pages. Thanks to all who have posted pictures and comments about these fascinating old boats!

Oldboat, best of luck with the restoration, and keep us posted.

Todd in NY said:
This is a great thread! I just read all 11 pages. Thanks to all who have posted pictures and comments about these fascinating old boats!

Thank You Todd in NY !! I've been trying to find out more of its history through the Detroit Police Marine Division. and everyone I have talked to was very interested in it. finally ended up with a retired harbor patrol officer who is very interested in it and has most of the records and photos of Police boats in Detroit and had not seen this boat and was doing more digging .. so far I haven't heard back yet.. I really don't want to destroy any of the remaining ghost lettering until I can get some documentation and hopefully photos of it in uniform ..

oldboat said:
Todd in NY said:

Thank You Todd in NY !! I've been trying to find out more of its history through the Detroit Police Marine Division. and everyone I have talked to was very interested in it. finally ended up with a retired harbor patrol officer who is very interested in it and has most of the records and photos of Police boats in Detroit and had not seen this boat and was doing more digging .. so far I haven't heard back yet.. I really don't want to destroy any of the remaining ghost lettering until I can get some documentation and hopefully photos of it in uniform ..

It's great that you have been in contact with that retired police officer. I'll bet that you really got his attention with your boat. It'll be interesting to see what info he can dig up on it.

Todd in NY said:
oldboat said:
Todd in NY said:

It's great that you have been in contact with that retired police officer. I'll bet that you really got his attention with your boat. It'll be interesting to see what info he can dig up on it.

Hi Todd ! it took a few phone calls to get directed to him and each officer I talked with was very interested in my find.. after I got ahold of him he was quite eager to know more about the boat.. he called back several times while I was at work and asked more questions .. he couldn't wait until I got home for me to send photos and looked it up on the internet and found some photos of my boat and called back and was amazed at it and said he had never seen a boat like it before ! he wanted to see the ghost lettering .. so I sent him the photos and didn't hear back in a couple days so I called him back and he said he didn't receive them on his phone so I tried again and haven't heard back yet.. I'll have to call him again and see if he got them..

Oldboat, maybe he didn't get the last set of photos you sent him. Either one of you can probably contact the local newspapers or local historical society and garner some interest and feedback from the public. Someone out there has to have some information on that boat or that era in the Detroit PD.

Todd in NY said:
Oldboat, maybe he didn't get the last set of photos you sent him. Either one of you can probably contact the local newspapers or local historical society and garner some interest and feedback from the public. Someone out there has to have some information on that boat or that era in the Detroit PD.

Todd, yes he may have not gotten them again.. he said his phone has problems getting photos.. I'll call him again and see if he has another email address I can send them to.. the Detroit news is a good idea !! I have tried to contact the Detroit historical society a few times already and can't get ahold of, or any responses from, the guy I keep getting directed to ..

oldboat said:
Todd in NY said:

Todd, yes he may have not gotten them again.. he said his phone has problems getting photos.. I'll call him again and see if he has another email address I can send them to.. the Detroit news is a good idea !! I have tried to contact the Detroit historical society a few times already and can't get ahold of, or any responses from, the guy I keep getting directed to ..

Wishing you the best of luck, and following your progress...

Well I haven't had much to post about this boat in awhile now.. I was expecting to get at it this spring but with all this stuff happening and now I can't get to it as we are having major flooding problems here with some Dam's breaking and bridges collapsing .. I have picked up a few items for its restoration.. I bought a rare 1947 Perko "Siro-lite" combination navigation light/siren and another Perko "Sea-Mite" Siren along with a set of vintage Police Lights.. I'm not sure which siren I will use but probably the Sea-Mite one..

Attachments

• s-l1600[1] (28).jpg
    s-l1600[1] (28).jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l1600[4] (3).jpg
    s-l1600[4] (3).jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l1600[5] (2).jpg
    s-l1600[5] (2).jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l500[2] (4).jpg
    s-l500[2] (4).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l500[3] (2).jpg
    s-l500[3] (2).jpg
    22 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l500[3] (3).jpg
    s-l500[3] (3).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l500[7].jpg
    s-l500[7].jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l500[8] (3).jpg
    s-l500[8] (3).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 00O0O_66WDU4GbDdh_600x450[1].jpg
    00O0O_66WDU4GbDdh_600x450[1].jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 130
Todd in NY said:
Thanks for the update oldboat! Looking forward to more pics and the maiden voyage.

Thanks Todd.. I'm rebuilding a 25' tandem axle EZ Loader trailer for my 22 1/2' Winninghoff which is stored next to my Aero Craft JCC at the same Marina.. I need to get this finished and the Winninghoff swapped off its trailer onto this larger trailer so I can bring it home long enough to do the repower on it.. then bring the JCC home so I can finally get started on it !!

Latest posts