What are my options - 10 footer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol JohnnyBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bought this little 10ft Lowe. Got a decent price on it and it fits well in my pickup. My only problem though is that its a 10 footer. I've heard that decking the front is out of the question because of stability reasons. Soooo, I plan to enclose the stern and make a compartment for my battery and maybe a small fuel tank (if I put a gas powered engine on her). I also plan to put a floor down and place a couple seats on both benches. Lastly I plan to make a mount for the trolling motor on the front. Do you all think this would be unreasonable considering its only a 10 footer. Thanks in advance and I'll post pics as I progress...Well, what do ya think????
jonboat1.jpg

jonboat2.jpg

jonboat.jpg

The first thing I'd do would be either get a trailer or a couple of stout fishing buddies. You're going to be surprised at how much weight all those small mods will add up to be. Loading it in and out of a pickup isn't going to be any fun once you get a floor, battery, TM, fuel tank, outboard, seats, etc. put on it. Other than that, I see no problems with what you're doing. I'd definitely keep the decking down to floor level for stability in something that small.

i wouldnt worry about loading it in your bed, look at the boat in my sig, i loaded that in my bed (long bed) for a while. a few people and a jack and it wasn't THAT bad. for a 10 footer, don't waist your money on a trailer imo. I don't know if i would deck a boat that small, you should probably just floor it and put like a 10hp on it, that would make it a nice little rig.

i agree with heavy-chevy, i would floor it and add a couple seats. and add a 10 or 15 hp. you would be surprised at how heavy a deck and trolling motor can make a boat.

I like the boat :D

If it were mine I'd just carpet it, put one seat on it, a battery and TM say 44# 8) to load in it once I put it in the sweet little honey holes I plan to visit :D

I have been fishing out of a old beat leaky 60s model riveted flat bottom jon with a friend for many years now. best advice i can give would be to use 1/4 wood for floor using foam sheeting under it and keep it removable. then use 3/8 ply across the tanks seats and mount the kingping style bases for the seats no poles i even mounted the bases upside down to get that 2'' or so of seat lift and ply across top of bow to make the mount for hand or foot operated TM. Or you can buy a mount from BPS that fits in the front carry handle, (for hand only). I am starting on a new build here myself and will be posting pics soon that will detail how i am mounting my foot TM.

Good Luck

here is how i did my 12ft'er
foot controlled trolling motor
100_1416.jpg

seat mounts
100_1411.jpg

I'm in the same situation w/ Ole JohnnyBoy. I have a 10' Lowe's too. I like just deckin' the floor to hide the ribs and to provide a quieter ride. I agree w/ Heavy Chevy.. for a 10' footer...it' just not worth putting more $ into the trailer, especially if it'd be worth more than the boat!

My issue is that I find the bench seats extremely cumbersome. They kill my and my co-angler's back for the next few days by having our knees in our throats. I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to just lower the bench seats to the floor, completly stuffing them w/ styrofoam, deck the floor around them, and put on the bench seats a peg seat set up (no more than the 11" size) w/ your padded action folding seats to save your back, and still giving the much needed leg room w/o having to sit indian style to avoid choking yourself w/ your knees (obviously I'm exaggurating here).

The only things I would be concerned about is: A) would any "reattachments" of the seats would leave them below the water line? (I am not sure what type of rivet would work best); and B) by cutting out the benches at the bend of the metal inside (where it attaches to the side) would that leave me enough to work the metal to fit snuggly lower? C) Would lowering the benches leave the boat less stable than totally stable than totally removing them? D) If so, what's the best way to reenforce the boat to prevent folding of the whole thing?

To my mind, this would provide what I need w/o adding so much weight that the thing isn't completely impossible to haul in and out of the truck, suck your gas down, and suck your battery down on the water. Thoughts/pics are GREATLY APPRECIATED

Needing guidance b/c I can't afford a chiropractor,

LH28

I'd be mostly concerned about the actual capacity of the boat. Have you added it all up? With me (200) a battery (70) and a trolling motor (30) I'm pushing the coast guard's recommendation. I'm not sure, but chances are you'll be over capacity, which is a big no-no both legal-wise and safety-wise.

Jim said:
I would floor it and put 2 seats, Thats it. That is exactly what I am looking for myself.
That's what I am planning for my 10 footer.To bad you aren't closer,we could do some horse trading. :LOL2:

dyeguy1212 said:
I'd be mostly concerned about the actual capacity of the boat. Have you added it all up? With me (200) a battery (70) and a trolling motor (30) I'm pushing the coast guard's recommendation. I'm not sure, but chances are you'll be over capacity, which is a big no-no both legal-wise and safety-wise.

I take it you're referring to the weight then right? I"m flirtin' w/ 175 for myself, 15# anchor 1 12v marine battery....gear.....occassionally 1 other person over 200..... ok. I see where you're going.

LH28

Jim said:
I would floor it and put 2 seats, Thats it. That is exactly what I am looking for myself.

Jim, I'm willing to settle for that but I need some guidance on exactly what would be the best stuff to use. How thick should I get my flooring 3/8ths? What's the best method to attach it to the boat, would it be screws, rivets (if so what kind). IF this is what I end up doing, and it suspect it will be, how is the best way to renforce the benches? Could I do so and still use the peg style seats w/ the 11" bar or should I search out a 7" bar?

Thanks
LH28