What are these for???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper6322

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a 1970 Sea King 6hp and i'm not sure what these two flathead screws are for (They are the only 2 shiny things on the motor lol) they are on the vertical shaft of the motor one towards the top and one towards the bottom, with a zerk fitting in between them. When i take them all the way out they are flat on the bottom like a set screw would be, but don't seem to adjust anything??? I'm stumped (not that it takes to much to stump me)

Maybe you can get a clue here:
https://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?sid=ca830d7f-9919-4ba4-8a58-e1a38e3577ce%40sessionmgr12&vid=4&hid=16

They might be vent screws. You take them out when you grease the pivot shaft, pump in grease until it comes out the screw holes and then reinstall the screws. This will prevent blown out seals or o-rings from over greasing. Did the screws have grease on them when you removed them? Just an idea maybe someone can tell you for sure.

the ebsco host manual doesn't mention them or show them in the parts breakdown, and no they didn't have any grease on them, when i pull them all the way out it's like there is a plate between it and the pivot shaft, as i turn it i cannot see the pivot shaft turning, I have to JB weld that zerk fitting back in as it is a press in kind that has popped out, and then i can pull them out and see if any grease comes out. thanks for the ideas guys.

no, it does not affect the steering at all, but that's not to say that they weren't tightened to much and are not working properly, on the top one, it looks like a lockwasher inside the hole, and i've been able to back it out a about 1/4 turn but then gets stuck, I think i need to figure out how to take that shaft apart and actually look at the inside of it.

They were tension screws for the steering, they had just wore a groove into the nylon bushings and it was stiff do to corrosion of the vertical shaft, all cleaned up and adjusted now, steers like a champ, thanks for the help guys