What did santa bring you?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goat83 said:
The coolest thing I got was a new digital camera that shock proof from a 5 foot drop, freeze resistent to 14 degrees and water proof to 10 foot. Now I can take a picture of a fish underwater as I let it go or maybe I could put the take a picture of the structure they're in and see where exactly to put my lure. lol.

Thats a cool gift. You can get some nice underwater lure action shot too with that camera!

Waterwings said:
Once you've located the map/directions you want on Google maps (and your gps device is plugged into the computer), click on Send, then choose Garmin as the device in the drop-down menu, then click on Send, and it will load it to your gps device. Don't forget to register your Garmin product (if that's the brand you got) at https://my.garmin.com before you do the communicator plugin. Enjoy! 8)

Santa brought me a GPS for the truck as well. I take it that you have to have a Google account to send maps to it. I've gone through the whole ordeal and can do nothing but send that location to an email account. :(

Hopefully this will work:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl...-86.712513&spn=0.063708,0.109863&z=13&iwloc=A

Make sure your vehicle gps is plugged into your computer and it's on.

1) In the white box that is pointing to BPS on the map, click on Send.

2) When that new "Send" window comes up, there will be some choices in the left margin of the new window.

3) Click on GPS. Then to the right use the drop-down menu to select your brand.

4) After that click on the Send Button at the bottom of that window.

5) After that, you should get a new window where it will state "Searching For Device" or something to that effect. Once it finds it, it will download the directions to your gps device.

:)

Yours works. I guess the one that I was trying wasn't working because it refused to find the exact address. It would just throw a balloon out there on some random point on the road. :?:

What type of address was it? Street name/number, city, state, zip? I use the top address bar when Google loads, then click Search. I tried the Get Directions spaces where you put the starting address and dsetination address and the only "Send" window I get is to do it via email. Found out I had to use the top address space. Hope that helps.

Which gps unit did you get?

Garmin Nuvi 200.

The address has the entire thing. Number, street, city, state, zip. When you type it into the bar, it returns with nothing but the street and a balloon that is in the general area of the street.. it isn't even on the street but a bit out of a 90 degree turn. It is bizarre.

I can start to input the address into the Garmin and it does the auto finish thing and routes right to it.

Looks like everyone made out good. I had a great Christmas. My niece got a Wii and my entire family, including my grandparents, was playing. We had so much fun playing it, my grandparents really got into it :lol: . As for me, I got a Kahr cw45 from my dad; 2 pairs of boots, a carhartt sweatshirt, an electric carving knife, socks, bps gift card, and some cash from the rest of the family. I still have not gotten my gift from my girlfriend, I am hoping for something fishing related, or a new knife....we shall see. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year :!:

Quackrstackr said:
Garmin Nuvi 200.

The address has the entire thing. Number, street, city, state, zip. When you type it into the bar, it returns with nothing but the street and a balloon that is in the general area of the street.. it isn't even on the street but a bit out of a 90 degree turn. It is bizarre.

I can start to input the address into the Garmin and it does the auto finish thing and routes right to it.

I had the same problem yesterday with an address and ended up adding it manually with the "keyboard" on the unit. I discovered something messing with Google Maps this morning. Left Click and hold on a point where you want to change directions on the google map (such as an intersection), then release. I did this about 3 times to re-route a shortcut getting to a fishing buddies house in Henderson. Didn't try sending it to the gps, but thought it was cool that you could manipulate the route.

jkbirocz said:
Looks like everyone made out good. I had a great Christmas. My niece got a Wii and my entire family, including my grandparents, was playing. We had so much fun playing it, my grandparents really got into it :lol: . As for me, I got a Kahr cw45 from my dad; 2 pairs of boots, a carhartt sweatshirt, an electric carving knife, socks, bps gift card, and some cash from the rest of the family. I still have not gotten my gift from my girlfriend, I am hoping for something fishing related, or a new knife....we shall see. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year :!:

Looks like you had a good one! 8)

I picked it up a couple months ago but had to wrap it up.
Also got cloths, flashlight and AT guide book/map set.

Attachments

• Christmas 08 045em.jpg
    Christmas 08 045em.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 180
Waterwings said:
My wife got me a gps unit that I've wanted for awhile for the truck. She bought the Garmin nuvi 255W, and I've already stared loading locations to it. For those that aren't aware of it, certain models of Garmin (their website will list them) will now receive down-loaded directions from Google Maps through your PC (provided you have the USB cable for it) and the Garmin Communicator Plugin installed on your computer. Here's the link to accomplish that:
https://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Once you've located the map/directions you want on Google maps (and your gps device is plugged into the computer), click on Send, then choose Garmin as the device in the drop-down menu, then click on Send, and it will load it to your gps device. Don't forget to register your Garmin product (if that's the brand you got) at https://my.garmin.com before you do the communicator plugin. Enjoy! 8)

Update: Yesterday I emailed a friend of mine in another town to get his home address to add to the Garmin, but Google Maps doesn't show his location, due to it being a new development he lives in I guess. He told me in a follow-up email that MapQuest shows his location. Went to MapQuest, loaded his address and found out that MapQuest will also download info to Garmins. You'll still need the Garmin Communicator Plugin download to accomplish the loading through MapQuest.

Your garmin doesn't a key board to just type in the address to find the directions?
map quest sucks was wrong about 25%of the time my garmin get it right about 95%
why would you need to download directions?

I'm confused

redbug said:
Your garmin doesn't a key board to just type in the address to find the directions?

I'm confused

Yep, it has the keyboard to manually type in addresses, was wanting to try it via the usb download cable. Concur on the Mapquest, as I've had bad directions from them before also.

redbug said:

I'm confused

You can set up the route in Mapquest/Google by just dragging the route to whatever street you want to detour off of. I don't use it, but that's all I can think of it being good for. I guess the other thing is Garmin goes off of Distance on a street, and not all actual house numbers are in the spot where Garmin says it is.

I just drive off of my course or hit detour and let it find me a new way to get to where I'm going. I've got a Nuvi 680... seems they don't make them anymore.

Got a new tackle box and some cash to fill it up with. sccamper cool old gun, my dad has an some WWII Japanese rifle my great uncle brought back for him, he said it looks like a bad copy of an German Mauser he also has. The Mauser is some speical castal guard model, when I was a kid I saw a friend of my dad give himself a bloody nose shooting that thing. It's wild to think about where old guns have been over the years.

Garmin Oregon 400t GPS (Highly recommended!) and a bunch of camping gear. Cant wait for spring so I can put it all to use!!

drsouce411 said:
Garmin Oregon 400t GPS (Highly recommended!) and a bunch of camping gear. Cant wait for spring so I can put it all to use!!

One of my brothers has a Garmin 400 (can't recall which model, but I know it's expensive), which he uses for geocaching. Very nice units! 8)

Waterwings said:
drsouce411 said:

One of my brothers has a Garmin 400 (can't recall which model, but I know it's expensive), which he uses for geocaching. Very nice units! 8)

Yea, there's a bit of a price tag on them. It was my "big" present cuz of that.... some other camping odds and ends. I went with the 400t (preloaded Topographic maps) because I do a lot of hunting and shlupping through the woods to remote trout ponds :D .