What food do you feed your dog?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redbug said:
I feed my 2 bassett hounds Merrick grannys pot pie I do wet the food frst they love it. I feed them once a day. they maintainthier weights well an are full of energy good teeth
https://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/dry_dog_food.php
seat pea is 3 years old and 44lbs
Sassafrass is 2 years old and 65 lbs

IMGP0317.jpg

:lol: I love Bassett Hounds! Good Lookin' dogs you got there! Are your dogs really "full of energy"? I thought Bassett hounds were naturally a lazy type dog? Or is that just kind of a stereotype?

these 2 are non stop playing in the yard we had to drag them in out of the rain last night.
While on vacation they get to run in the fields on our farm 160 acres in so. Ill they are grat dogs

redbug said:
these 2 are non stop playing in the yard we had to drag them in out of the rain last night.
While on vacation they get to run in the fields on our farm 160 acres in so. Ill they are grat dogs

You would never tell from that pic that they are little balls of energy. :lol: :LOL2:

We did the all meat diet for a couple weeks. Only reason we stopped was because of the hassle. With 4 dogs to feed, and 4 kids to make spare time nonexistant, it was easier to go back to dumping a few kibbles in each bowl twice a day. But, while we did it, they did seem to have a better coat, were a little more active etc. Plus, it is cheaper than kibbles if you look at the price per meal (don't look at the price per pound, as that is different between dry kibbles and raw meat). You can get the scraps from the butchers shop for next to nothing, and get whatever the grocery store has on sale. Dogs didn't have a bit of a problem adjusting to it at all. Usually, they do when changing kibble brands. If you have the time to do it, I would definitely suggest the raw meat diet.

I have a lab/chow, and a runt german sheppard, neither of them will eat the healthy dog food, ive tried giving them all the good stuff, but they wont touch it, the only one they seem to eat is kibbles, Ive recently started adding that Iams liquid stuff that comes in a ketchup looking bottle to it.

Captain Ahab said:
Russ:

We buy Chicken Liver, Chicken quarters and sometimes beef in bulk whenever it goes on sale (well the liver never goes on sale but that is cheap, good for the dog and my dog's favorite). I boil and then de-bone whatever product we are using and mix in about 30% dry dog food to 60% meat. Dry dogs foods that the GSD Associations approve include Science Diet Natures Blend, Science Diet Large Breed or Eukenuba.

Capt. your dogs eat better than I do =P~

I have a 13 year old lab @85lbs and almost perfect teeth. She just lost a front tooth?????

My wife has a Pomeranian.

My daughter has a sheltie.

I spend more in feed each week than we spend on ourselves. I also have 2 horses, Just sold all of the cows, and a rehabilitated racoon (who eats more food than the dogs).

My old lab (about 14 yrs old) had skin problems and scratches alot.. we took him to the doctor and he said it was something in the dog food that he was allergic to.. like some dye they put in the dog food.. now we get him Iams Lamb and rice. works. :mrgreen:

Iams Lamb & Rice for our two Huskies. Sometimes I'll switch-off to another flavor/sized kibble, but still stuck with the Iams. It seems Huskies (or at least mine) are real prone to a good case of the back door trots if their diet is varied. They get very few table scraps, but I do occasionally add chicken or turkey gravy to their dry food in the winter. They're 11 and 10 yrs old now and have had them since they were pups.

BlueWaterLED said:
I have an eight year old yellow lab and he is over 100 pounds. He has eaten Beneful since he ws a pup. Everything else makes him irregular.

my parents were feeding our yellow lab Beneful - it made him itch and chew raw spots all over his body. I gave him the Nutro that my GSD couldn't eat and his itching stopped and his hair grew back in like 3-4 days. Now he is strictly and outside dog at my parents, so he eats anything that he can get his teeth on. He does an amazing job at catching moles too...

russ010 said:
BlueWaterLED said:
I have an eight year old yellow lab and he is over 100 pounds. He has eaten Beneful since he ws a pup. Everything else makes him irregular.

my parents were feeding our yellow lab Beneful - it made him itch and chew raw spots all over his body. I gave him the Nutro that my GSD couldn't eat and his itching stopped and his hair grew back in like 3-4 days. Now he is strictly and outside dog at my parents, so he eats anything that he can get his teeth on. He does an amazing job at catching moles too...

Is that what those raw spots are?!?!

Just kidding, actually, he is prone to horrible allergies certin times of the year so he takes a medication for it. The food doesn't seem to bother him but he has been eating it for so long now that I am sure his system is just very used to it.

Captain Ahab said:
Ru7ss: Best thing is to feed the dog one meal a day. Again - avoid the dry food as much as possible - really bad for the German Shepard. If you have to feed your dog dry food please wet it and wait for it to get soft

So I tried wetting the EVO... and after 30 min, it never got soft. Only the outer 1/16" soaked up the water, and I filled it to the top of the bowl I had 2cups measured into...

I spent 15 years of my life as a professional bird dog trainer. We also boarded dogs. After reading all these posts I now realize why we had such a hard time getting our boarders to eat their dinner.

Our most recent dogs have been a Norfolk Terrier male, a Chesapeake female, a Boykin Spaniel male (who died a few months ago), and now another Boykin Spaniel pup. All ate nothing but standard dry dog food moistened with water and mixed with our table scraps. Most were fed Purina Dog Chow. Our new Boykin pup is eating Iams puppy food - dry. All lived in the house with us.

Chloe eats Royal Canin Indoor Adult Mini (21 I think?). She doesn't eat it very well so we have been gradually changing her diet to boiled rice with boiled chicken chunks. She goes nuts when we cook it! She is a maltese btw.

Royal Canine is the only "high-end" food I haven't tried yet. And they make one for German Shepherds... I think the reason I didn't try it was because of some of the contents (chicken and corn). I hate to try something new and then him not be able to handle it... of course, I can always give it to my parents like I have everything else I've tried to give to the Lab..

I think I'm going to take Capt Ahab's suggestion and mix 60/30 raw diet with dry food.

Bubba, I looked at the food you are feeding your dogs and that's even more expensive than what I'm using now! I found the food I'm using now for $40, but shipping is another $40, so I'm still at a loss. I think it will be cheaper to do the raw/dry combo.

That tv is a 55" Toshiba.

I had a 57" Mitsubishi, but I sold it when I lived in an apartment... I didn't want to take it apart and walk it down 3 flights of stairs. We lived in Tiffany's parents "apartment" above their detached garage while I was overseas for a while and saving up money to buy this house. This is one of the best TVs I've ever owned. I got it at a "estate" pawn shop for $500.. I've also got a 42" Toshiba that came from the same place. I thought something was wrong with the picture because when watching football, the color of grass on the field was waaaay of. I upgraded to HD and the color came back to life - literally. Now I gotta get a surround sound because the HD channels are like 30db lower than standard def channels volume and I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear it.