What's a good setup of an 18 foot jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all the money you'd spend on a 150 out board jet you could get a supercharged 4 stroke 200 plus hp seadoo with closed loop cooling and have a sweet azz boat... Just saying :D

Would be cool but then I would have to have the equipment and time to do it. Or have PSG build me one.

I have the set-up I always wanted though, just took me 11 years to complete it.

Cool videos.

Must be fun to have rivers you can run that far. On the Susky you can typically go 5 - 6 miles before you run into the next dam or rock ledge that nothing bigger than a canoe crosses. If the level is way up, you can run further, but that's when it gets real dangerous. The river claims the lives of several hunters/fishermen every year.

We don't run jets as much to really run skinny as to just not be replacing props & lowers units constantly. This should give you an idea why I don't care to be able to go 40+ mph.

4ee3cdc3-0281-4341-becb-db6ccef70983_zpsdyadmjqh.jpg

I run a 225 jet on the susky and do pretty well. The best part of a big jet is, as already mentioned, float to plane in one boat length and having reserve power. Plus I can run at 4k rpms right at 30mph when I was redline on my 115/80 to do near the same. If you are planning on running the susky down around Harrisburg, I would get a rockproof, but also understand that rockproof does not really mean that. UHMW has little impact absorption properties. It is designed to make the hull slide over rocks rather than grab as it would with aluminum and provide you with a greater margin of error than a bare hull would. Treat it like a tank and you will be replacing the hull sooner or later, especially down that way.

I have owned 3 flat bottom jets through the years. Just purchased a new setup recently to use primarily on the current river in Missouri. We have motor restriction on the section of current river I run (40 hp) so I went with the mercury 60/40 four stroke . I went with an 1852. My first 18 ft, other two were 17. It is a blazer ss and tiller steering. All three I have owned have been tiller and would not own a non tiller boat. Gives me more room for other people and uncluttered. 12 inch extended front deck, aluminum perforated floor(a must have), two live wells under rear seats and deck lids over fuel tank and starter battery. First time out I gps and without trolling motor and battery, 28-29 upstream and it hit 32 downstream. That is plenty fast on the river. Gets on plane quick, very pleased with how quick it gets up and in plane with the four stroke. Yesterday I took entire family, huge cooler loaded down and all the the things that 3 females need plus all of our fishing gear. Went the same upstream, 28.5 and it hit 31 one time coming downstream. Way pleased with that. I hear people say you can't see running a tiller, I do not agree with that. The driver seat in my boat is higher than the other back seat for that reason , before the boat place started my boat they had me sit in another tiller boat to see how it all would fit me . I hear other people say that it's not safe to run a tiller with more than a 20 hp. I do not agree with that. In Missouri you see more steering wheel set ups yes , but still a ton of tiller steering. I like how quick I can turn. I will not own a river boat without a tiller. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442800579.605027.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442800611.823455.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442800643.502663.jpg

If u are referring to me, thank you. I am really pleased with it. Fast enough, plenty of room, easy on gas, great to fish out of and my young daughters love it.

archery68 said:
If u are referring to me, thank you. I am really pleased with it. Fast enough, plenty of room, easy on gas, great to fish out of and my young daughters love it.
I cut my teeth on a tiller, love them, we ran the Big river for many years putting in at Brownsford access. The one I have now is a wheel so this is going to be a learning curve for me, but I like it.

Mike

Yeah I learned to run a boat that had tiller. It's what I like and am used to them. Loving the new mercury, like the power trim, and really like where it's located on the handle.

archery68 said:
Yeah I learned to run a boat that had tiller. It's what I like and am used to them. Loving the new mercury, like the power trim, and really like where it's located on the handle.
I'm going to break our new one in Saturday, big step up for us going from a 40 to a 250. :lol:

Oh my that is huge change. That's exciting stuff. I will prolly always have a 40 cause of the motor restrictions where I go. Good luck with the new toy, enjoy!!!!!

Sully,
Saw pic of your boat in another thread, nice looking ride. Have fun breaking it in. Enjoy!!!