which trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailbruizer

Reaction score
I am buying a new trolling motor that will be used on a 16' canoe and a 12' aluminum boat. I am looking at the Minn kota Endura 30. I know the 30 will be enough to move either boat, but my question is whether I should consider the 40 lb also. I don't have a lot of experience with trolling motors so some insight would be great. Would a 40 being bigger not have to work as hard as a 30 and thus saving some battery power? I will be only using one 24 battery.

Trailbruizer said:
I am buying a new trolling motor that will be used on a 16' canoe and a 12' aluminum boat. I am looking at the Minn kota Endura 30. I know the 30 will be enough to move either boat, but my question is whether I should consider the 40 lb also. I don't have a lot of experience with trolling motors so some insight would be great. Would a 40 being bigger not have to work as hard as a 30 and thus saving some battery power? I will be only using one 24 battery.

There will be little difference in performance between the 40 and the 30, but the 40 could potentially use more battery power (not less) at higher speeds (it will go marginally faster).

I'd get the biggest trolling motor you can afford (many others have advised the same), but if you're limited on battery power, stick to the lower speeds. Higher speeds are less efficient and will drain the battery faster. Later on if you buy a bigger (or second) battery you'll appreciate the larger trolling motor.

I have a 17' alum lake canoe. I have used 15, 30, and 37lb thrust motors on it. 30 will be all you will need. Even a 30 on high, can cavitate with air pocket behind shaft, requiring to set it deeper than need be.

Go as big as you can because when the wind is blowing hard right in your face it's going to struggle to push that 12'. I used a 32lb MK Endura Pro for a couple years, moved up to an Endura 50 and it was a huge improvement. Then changing to a Kipawa performance prop (https://kipawapropellers.com/) added 0.5 mph to my top speed, which was over a 10% improvement. I definitely recommend them on 12 volt TMs.

If this is going to be your primary source of propulsion then you definitely don't want to go smaller than a 45-55lb. If it's only for trolling, then a 30lb should be okay.

The 12 foot boat does have a 6 hp out board, so it would serve as just a secondary source. I think I will go with the Minn Kota endura 30. for the price it seems like it will do just fine. Thanks for the advise.

Butthead said:
Go as big as you can because when the wind is blowing hard right in your face it's going to struggle to push that 12'.

Listen to this man. My son and I had to be towed back to dock this week when the wind pushed us into the far side of Marsh Creek Lake. A 30lb trolling motor full blast and me rowing as fast as I could could not beat the wind.

Latest posts