why won't my boat plane?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd buy that hull in a heart beat. It's near impossible to find a good boat today that was designed to row. Rowing is a blast because boats go surprisingly fast with little effort. Before you know it you are a mile away. Almost a shame we are helping him turn it into a planing boat.

Stumpalump said:
I'd buy that hull in a heart beat. It's near impossible to find a good boat today that was designed to row. Rowing is a blast because boats go surprisingly fast with little effort. Before you know it you are a mile away. Almost a shame we are helping him turn it into a planing boat.

I actually use it almost exclusively as a row boat when duck hunting. Sometimes I fish from it with the motor. I used to only use the 3 horse evinrude if I planned on going quite some distance. . . .but we ran into an issue when we hunted the Mississippi during a low water period where we needed a smaller boat. . .and it took a really long time to get back to the landing. 3 horse against shipping channel current makes for a very slow actual mph. Got back to the landing and the spare gallon tank was empty and just for kicks I opened up the tank on the motor and didn't even get a reflection from gas in the tank, just a clear view of the bottom. Another 100 yards and we would have had to row to shore and drag it from there.

My main desire to get this thing up on plane has mostly to do with fuel efficiency and to some extent to save time on trips like above. Just gonna buy a hydrofoil for $30 instead of monkeying around with plate aluminum. Hopefully I'll test by the end of this weekend.

ericman said:
Stumpalump said:

I actually use it almost exclusively as a row boat when duck hunting. Sometimes I fish from it with the motor. I used to only use the 3 horse evinrude if I planned on going quite some distance. . . .but we ran into an issue when we hunted the Mississippi during a low water period where we needed a smaller boat. . .and it took a really long time to get back to the landing. 3 horse against shipping channel current makes for a very slow actual mph. Got back to the landing and the spare gallon tank was empty and just for kicks I opened up the tank on the motor and didn't even get a reflection from gas in the tank, just a clear view of the bottom. Another 100 yards and we would have had to row to shore and drag it from there.

My main desire to get this thing up on plane has mostly to do with fuel efficiency and to some extent to save time on trips like above. Just gonna buy a hydrofoil for $30 instead of monkeying around with plate aluminum. Hopefully I'll test by the end of this weekend.

Will be interested to see what happens with the hydrofoil. It increases drag so curious if it will perform like you want it. Keep us posted! Good luck.

jethro said:
Yeah, that's for sure, my hyrdofoil sucks at least 3-4 mph from my setup but boy does it get up on plane quick.

You have to ditch that thick plastic drag inducing wing. Nothing performs better than flat plate aluminum. Make it big and cut it smaller to tune it. Too much affects steering. You already have holes drilled and hardware so hack up an old street sign and give it a try. You will get that 3 mph back.

ericman said:
Stumpalump said:

How does it row?

It's a lot like waterskiing. Once you get up on plane and your speed increases, the amount of energy / speed to keep you there goes way down. I think the wing might work even if it shaves a couple MPH from the top... The trick is to get it out of that trough of water... once you get there you don't need all 7.5 horses...

Stumpalump,
The boat rows like a dream. I have 7 foot oars and I made some oar-lock extensions to get the oars up above my legs because I'm sitting so high on the raised benches. I'm considering making new oars, ones with much bigger paddle ends because I feel like I could push the thing even faster. I hunt many motorless lakes and a few that just have too much surface vegetation. ( I won't buy a surface drive, direct drive, mud-motor . . .too loud )

And it really does track and steer well when rowing. It also push poles really fast too. I actually made my push pole out of a 16 foot knot-less cedar 2x4 that I ripped down to 2x3 and rounded the corners. Thing sticks out the back like 4 feet so I have to tie it to the transom handles when I'm going down the road. My hunting partner calls the thing my gondola because I stand on the seat when I'm push-poling.

I'd like to have a fleet of these old Model B's but you just don't see 'em. I think they made less than 1000 of them in 2-3 years of production. I'd like to make one into a decked layout boat, and I'd like to make one into a strictly small lake fishing boat, you know storage compartments, livewell, battery compartment, 24 volt trolling set-up, etc...

ericman said:
nccatfisher said:
You have way more boat/load than you have motor.

Again, it's rated for 5.5. I have a 7.5 merc that runs awesome. I have used an 8 horse evinrude on 16 foot lunds rated for 20 hp with 2 people that planed just fine. This boat is 13 feet 9 inches long and 46 inches wide. It might weigh 120 pounds. Myself and someone in the front might weight 350. When I used the 8 horse on a 14 foot sears boat it went close to 40 mph.
I'm sorry but I call bologna...40 mph...aint happening on this planet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ericman said:
Stumpalump,
The boat rows like a dream. I have 7 foot oars and I made some oar-lock extensions to get the oars up above my legs because I'm sitting so high on the raised benches. I'm considering making new oars, ones with much bigger paddle ends because I feel like I could push the thing even faster. I hunt many motorless lakes and a few that just have too much surface vegetation. ( I won't buy a surface drive, direct drive, mud-motor . . .too loud )

And it really does track and steer well when rowing. It also push poles really fast too. I actually made my push pole out of a 16 foot knot-less cedar 2x4 that I ripped down to 2x3 and rounded the corners. Thing sticks out the back like 4 feet so I have to tie it to the transom handles when I'm going down the road. My hunting partner calls the thing my gondola because I stand on the seat when I'm push-poling.

I'd like to have a fleet of these old Model B's but you just don't see 'em. I think they made less than 1000 of them in 2-3 years of production. I'd like to make one into a decked layout boat, and I'd like to make one into a strictly small lake fishing boat, you know storage compartments, livewell, battery compartment, 24 volt trolling set-up, etc...

I made my own push pole as well out of a Home Depot closet rod or stair case railing. Cut to about 12' but that way it fit in my boat. I fit a metal cap on one end so our rocks don't break it and a rubber cap on the other because the wife has a habit of clobbering me with it. I use it to check depth as well in the murky water so I painted black and red stripes on it. Now the wife can tell me when to throw it in neutral and trim up. It's really great the times it's needed. So you have 7" oars? I just bought a set of 6' from a lady selling all her boat stuff. I hope they are not too short for my next small tin? I'm 6'2 so I have some reach. She was a cool old gal that also loved to row. Used them on a trawler dingy. I scored the oars, a chair, a Foldit folding aluminum dock cart and a outboard with a buggered pull cord from her. I could tell she wanted to keep the oars but she knew I wanted them and gave them up. That makes 3 of us that like to row!

Problem solved.

Planes out, probably in the 12-14 mph range.

Attachments

• wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 515
No lift with that rounded off transom. It should be square. Not enough power either.

See above post.

Problem solved.

See wing attached to motor.

Works good now.