Will a 1992 15hp Evinrude Carb fit a 1986 9.9hp Evinrude Motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwmeador

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Evinrude 9.9hp engine and I have a chance to get a 15hp carb off of a 1992 15hp Evinrude. Will it work?

I don't know if it will fit but if the 15hp carb is priced right you should buy it. They can be hard to find.

Yes they will fit. The 1992 carburetor may be jetted differently since the newer engine has more cubic inches. You may have to re-jet the high speed. Not quite as simple as just taking one off and bolting on the other one. With some effort you can look up jet sizes.

It will bolt right on, the 15hp carb has a larger venturi, which will give you more top speed and a bit faster holeshot
From past experience, the only real difference in the two motors is the length of the exhaust housing under the power head which is tuned for the 15hp. The general consensus is that you will likely end up with what amounts to about 13hp or so,
Your biggest gains will be in the higher RPM ranges and at idle they tend to run a bit rich but not so much it causes any issues unless your trolling at idle for long periods. You will hit max hp about 500 rpm higher overall then with the 9.9 carb

Thanks for all the replies. I just bought the 1992 carb.

Won't you have to do something with the reeds too? I got a 9.9 and was thinking of the 15 carb upgrade. My research seemed to indicate that my 76 is one of the few years when the only difference was actually the carb. BTW a 15 HP motor can be bought for almost as cheap as just the carb!

Based on my minimal research I think I have concluded that the reeds really aren't needed. I guess most of HP gain from 9.9 to 15hp conversion come from the 15hp exhaust and carb. I might get the reeds later though. And that is a great idea about just buying the 15hp engine instead of ordering the 15hp carb and exhaust to upgrade the 9.9hp engine. Unfortunately I have already purchased the 15hp carb and exhaust or I would have just bought the whole 15hp engine as you suggested. In my area I'm seeing the 15hp Evinrude for around 500 dollars and I have already spent 210 bucks for the 15hp carb and exhaust with carb rebuild kit to upgrade mine. I'm already about halfway to a whole 15hp engine purchase...... oh well.