Wiring boat soon, have some questions about wire bus ect.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwell

Reaction score
When wiring the boat do I need to make sure everything is out of the weather? This includes circuit breakers, wire busbars, batteries ect...

All the connection points, to the extent possible, should be out of the weather. A pretty cool idea I've seen on here is where ppl have used Tupperware-type containers mounted sideways to keep connections out of the weather. I'd mount the connection points as high up as possible, and use some type of enclosure to keep them out of the elements as much as possible, but remember, there is no "always dry" spot on a boat that I've ever found. :lol:

Keeping the wire itself out of the elements is not as important, but you need to be careful of chaffing points that could expose bare wire. Conduit (of some type) is best if it's possible.

Just my $0.02...

Sounds good, I was thinking about making some kind of wooden box with a door that I can mount all my electrical in. That way if I need to add more I can just run the wire into it and open it up to wire anything I might add in a future. The only thing that might be exposed is the circuit breaker for my trolling motor, but if I buy a waterproof circuit breaker that would make it okay right?

I used this to wire my boat. Made it about as easy as wiring can be. A bit pricey but worth not having all the headache.

https://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=141

Looks like a great product! I know the fun with wiring up a boat project anything to make it easier is well worth the expense. Good recommendation.

bwell said:
Sounds good, I was thinking about making some kind of wooden box with a door that I can mount all my electrical in. That way if I need to add more I can just run the wire into it and open it up to wire anything I might add in a future. The only thing that might be exposed is the circuit breaker for my trolling motor, but if I buy a waterproof circuit breaker that would make it okay right?

Take a look at the Pelican box used in this thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19300&hilit=pelican+electrical&start=15 for some ideas...

I used a metal drill box and popped a hole in the side w grommet. It opens w latches and keeps connections protected and looks pretty clean. Just painted the same color as the boat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318421784.601699.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318421784.601699.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 908
The thing is I am looking to mount a switch panel on this box https://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Splash-Proof-Wave-Switch-Panels/dm/cart_id.283970057--session_id.817768078--view_id.484343

I think those boxes will work well for my busbars and circuit breakers but I need room for the panel. I was going to mount it in the metal seat but its filled with foam.

Latest posts