Fish ID needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassAddict

Reaction score
We see these guys all the time this time of year but cant id them, any of you guys know what they are from these shoty pictures,.

fishID1.jpg

fishID3.jpg

Looks like they might be carp. Get a can of sweet corn and throw half of it in the water near them. If they start to feed on it, toss a #6 hook baited with 1 or 2 kernels of corn and a small split shot about 18-24" up the line into the same spot and leave the bail open. If they are carp, the line should start to peel off in short order. Close the bail and lift the rod tip & the fish should hook itself. Then hang on.

The first thing I notice about them is the red on the fins and tail. Could it be some kind of Tilapia or other introduced exotic fish?

FishinsMyLife317 said:
The first thing I notice about them is the red on the fins and tail. Could it be some kind of Tilapia or other introduced exotic fish?
thats what i was thinking

FishinsMyLife317 said:
Could be. After looking at the full size image from the last post a little searching turned up this article with a picture that looks like the ones you're trying to catch.

And I found this information....
.....chum with "bread" to get them in a frenzy, but use "raw dough" for bait as wetting the bread and trying to keep it on the hook is difficult. Use a float, and a small size 8 Aberdeen hook, and set you bait about 12-15"s below the surface of the water. here

Between my old and tired eyes and the quality of the picture I'm not sure I would say Tilapia. These look more torpedo shaped whereas Tilapia are taller like a Crappie. My first guess was mullet or large chub. I would try a cast net to capture one and photo it then.

Is that fresh, salt or brackish water?

It doesn't look like any of the Tilapia I have seen!
All the Tilapia I have seen have been broiled to a nice golden Brown and covered with a lemon butter sauce.

Wayne

DocWatson said:
FishinsMyLife317 said:
Could be. After looking at the full size image from the last post a little searching turned up this article with a picture that looks like the ones you're trying to catch.

And I found this information....
.....chum with "bread" to get them in a frenzy, but use "raw dough" for bait as wetting the bread and trying to keep it on the hook is difficult. Use a float, and a small size 8 Aberdeen hook, and set you bait about 12-15"s below the surface of the water. here

Thanks Doc, i think you are 100% correct, next time i go bassing im gonna throw a dough ball under a cork, put it in a rod holder and see what happens.