Several small questions for jon boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradHall

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this site and have been searching for the answers for the questions I'm about to ask but not much luck. I inherited a jon boat it is a lowecraft from a family member that passed but is in need of some work, and also picked up a trailer for 70.00 and a 1996 Johnson 15 hp for 600.00 So I am ready for my winter project to begin. This will be just a boat that I want reliable and easy to clean after and not worry about where I take it. It needs new transom wood and I was thinking about putting just a 2 x 10 (not treated) there and staining it. How long approx would this last? Also need to replace the bunk boards in the trailer and is it alright to use treated wood there as long as I carpet it? I don't want to put the seat brackets that just bolt in place and hold it to the benches I want something that rivets or screws in place and do not want to put any wood in place I have seen the wise sure mount seat brackets but my benches are really rounded on the edges and do not know for sure if I have enough to pop rivet that on. Is there anyone else that make some really sturdy ones.

Just my.02 I would use the marine vinyl to make it easy to clean. As for the transom I will let some of the guys with more experience handle that. As long as the bunk boards are covered in carpet I think you will be fine. Some will argue that the treated wood will leach thru the carpet and eat away at the aluminum. Ive never saw this happen but I cant say it wont happen. Ive had three boat trailers and all were done this way and never a problem.

I have a 1951 Studebaker semi V 14 foot. In 1982 I put 3/4 plywood (non-treated) floor in it. I stained it then urethane to seal, every other year or so, I'll put another coat of urethane on it. The wood is still going strong. I did this to my transom as well, I used two 2x6. Bunk boards you can do the same, or just paint them.They'll last a good many years. I'm unsure what you mean by your seat brackets. Send some pictures, maybe I can help you.

I had to replace the original 1" thick transom on my Jon boat. I used 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood 12"x48" gorilla glued together then I added a 1"x6"x48 oak board glued and screwed to the plywood.

Attachments

• IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_5578.JPG
    IMG_5578.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 591
Brad, How big is your boat? Is there any way you can post a pic of your transom? A single piece of wood will probably do OK but can't you just glue and clamp some exterior grade plywood. The positive of this is increased strength and longevity with decreased warp. The trailer bunks should be OK. I don't understand you seat question and a pic or two would come in handy.

My boat is a 36 inch at the bottom and 50 at the top and forteen feet long. I don't have any pics of the transom because I already pulled the wood out it was so rotten. I purchased some vinyl slides that go on the bunk boards at Bass Pro this weekend so I'll probably use regular wood on it and 3/4 by 3/4 for the transom to be safe since that would be stronger. As for the seat mounts I've seen the wise sure mount seat brackets that can pop rivet in place to the benches and I've been thinking about them but I can't find out how big they are like 1x2 on the edge or what because by boats benches have quite a bit of curve to them. I also looked at the springfield ones that wing nut down but I've heard that they pop off if you lean back to far and I'll be having my kid and dad in there with me sometimes and I'd hate for them to end up on the floor of the boat with a terrible headache.

Latest posts