Redwood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishing has been awful this year. I now only fish one day per week. Minnesota has made the daily limits unbearable. Had one of those moments yesterday that some people will never see. Caught my third small northern pike, about eight feet from the boat a huge muskie came up and grabbed the northern and took off. Fun to watch. Will try to experiment on the hull with dawn soap, and another area with mineral spirits, but mostly, I will use a velcro sander with a bag attachment and also wear a pro dust mask and start with 180 grit on the hull... I used 220 on the sides and it took four of them to do a small area so I switched to 180 to start with and that will work just fine... for the keel, I will use the gator tool which will take some time, but this winter, I will have lots of time.... After studying the reviews on what to use to keep the boat relatively shiny, I came to the conclusion after reading all the reviews (thanks Amazon) that there is no one item that is perfect.... on my Lund, I gave up.... and painted the hull that is below the waterline, black. That was three years ago and it still looks great.
Looks really good! I Like the older Chevy 1500 P.U. in the background too. I have an 1988 model 2500 and would not part with it.........has that old reliable gas guzzling 350 in it that upsets all the local greenies and electric vehicle folks..:))

Next question......I have worked with aluminum before and had some ideas about how I wanted this boat to look... the plan was to sand it down and then when I had removed all the years of neglect and it shined brightly I would be done but the final step I planned on was to use some kind of wax as a protective coating. I will research this in a minute but everything I tried this morning was a disaster. I got the dreaded black buffing pad. I used NUFINISH, McGuires, satin wax, and a generic polish/cleaner ... none of them worked.... So I walked away and did some other chores... Does anybody know of a product that I can apply to this shiny aluminum finish to keep it looking nice? And please, I hate clear coat... and know about MAG cleaner for wheels.... but I would like some other ideas if you have been there/done that.... Thanks

PS... The chevy in the back is a 1995 half ton that I restored.... two new fenders, rockers and cab corners... some paint although it needs a complete paint job... only 80,000 miles and a 4.3.... It's been a good truck.... pulls a heavier fishing boat trailer at one time.

Next question......I have worked with aluminum before and had some ideas about how I wanted this boat to look... the plan was to sand it down and then when I had removed all the years of neglect and it shined brightly I would be done but the final step I planned on was to use some kind of wax as a protective coating. I will research this in a minute but everything I tried this morning was a disaster. I got the dreaded black buffing pad. I used NUFINISH, McGuires, satin wax, and a generic polish/cleaner ... none of them worked.... So I walked away and did some other chores... Does anybody know of a product that I can apply to this shiny aluminum finish to keep it looking nice? And please, I hate clear coat... and know about MAG cleaner for wheels.... but I would like some other ideas if you have been there/done that.... Thanks

Sharkhide -- pricey but people seem to think it works well.

When I first tried McGuiars I got a perfect shiny finish but honestly don't remember how.... I think it is just going to take some time and work in small sections, put it on wet and use a lot of buffing pads.... I did buy some Brasso this afternoon and I am going to try that too.... but after reading many entries on this topic here, I see no clear cut can't miss product... On my Lund, I gave up and just painted the bottom of the hull flat black ... will just keep trying... I have the time.

Can't help you in that area as I paint mine with green Zinc Chromate as It gives superior protection to the aluminum and I like the woodsy outdoors look of the green myself.

Attachments

• Photo1137 (1).jpg
    Photo1137 (1).jpg
    184 KB · Views: 0
PS... The chevy in the back is a 1995 half ton that I restored.... two new fenders, rockers and cab corners... some paint although it needs a complete paint job... only 80,000 miles and a 4.3.... It's been a good truck.... pulls a heavier fishing boat trailer at one time.
Very nice............super low mileage too! I haul my bigger boat with my 88 model year Chevy 2500 and it pulls and stops without breathing hard.............Old trucks, old boats, old tackle, old guns and old friends all go together!

Attachments

• December 22nd 2021.jpg
    December 22nd 2021.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 0
Can't help you in that area as I paint mine with green Zinc Chromate as It gives superior protection to the aluminum and I like the woodsy outdoors look of the green myself.
Is Zinc Chromate the same as self-etching primer? And do you have some more pictures of your boat on a trailer so I can see what it looks like? Cool looking boat and it looks very much like mine..... what is it? Thanks....

When I recently bought my boat, I had to buy a tow vehicle as well. MY 2015 VW Beetle diesel won't take a hitch due to the def tank being in the way. So picked up a very nice looking 2007 Tahoe 5.3l with a tick in the engine (common for the lifters to fail on these due to the 4cyl to 8 cyl mode (AFM) where it disables 4 cylinders when not needed). Got it for a good price. Then rebuilt the top end and refreshed a few things and there you go. Paid less for the Tahoe than I did for the boat!

Attachments

• PXL_20230426_001256655.jpg
    PXL_20230426_001256655.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230426_001109619.jpg
    PXL_20230426_001109619.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
Is Zinc Chromate the same as self-etching primer? And do you have some more pictures of your boat on a trailer so I can see what it looks like? Cool looking boat and it looks very much like mine..... what is it? Thanks....
Yes Zinc Chromate is a self etch primer. It was developed in the WWII era for use in the aircraft mfg plants to prevent corrosion in the aircraft's structures. It is mostly used in the aviation industry today but works perfectly for aluminum boats also. However care must be taken in using it............suit up and wear eye and protection and a painters mask when spraying it. You do not want to breath the fumes of it. Given proper preparation and handling it works perfectly for the job. I have sprayed several aluminum boats with it and love the results. It comes in green or a mustard yellow color.

The boat of your question is my 12 ft Alumacraft model E. I am a Alumacraft nut owning 4 of them between my brother and myself.....a 1968 16 ft Yukon model, a 1955 14 ft same as yours, and 2 12 ft model E's one made in 1950 and the other 1952. The one shown is a 1952 year 12 ft. I am currently restring another 12 ft Alumacraft model E.......in fact just finished restoring the wood transom inside and out and the original oars. Will spray this boat with Zinc Chromate also in the fall (Octoberish) when the temperature and humidity drops here in Florida. It's been too hot and rainy lately as I spray outdoors always to disperse the fumes and over spray.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo2397.jpg
    Photo2397.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo1294.jpg
    Photo1294.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
When I recently bought my boat, I had to buy a tow vehicle as well. MY 2015 VW Beetle diesel won't take a hitch due to the def tank being in the way. So picked up a very nice looking 2007 Tahoe 5.3l with a tick in the engine (common for the lifters to fail on these due to the 4cyl to 8 cyl mode (AFM) where it disables 4 cylinders when not needed). Got it for a good price. Then rebuilt the top end and refreshed a few things and there you go. Paid less for the Tahoe than I did for the boat!
Beautiful Tahoe...........!! Can I ask how much did it cost?

$3k all in. Only because of the engine work needed. I was lucky as I didn't need to replace the cam. Just pull the heads and replace lifters and pushrods and cleanup the heads.
100_4606.JPG100_5138.JPG
Long story short... I have restored "vehicles" since 1968... I recently put 200 hours into a $500 Ford Ranger... This I bought for $2000 and it only has 80,000 miles.... I tried to find a picture of my Lund 12 footer but I am on the wrong computer for that....

Yes Zinc Chromate is a self etch primer. It was developed in the WWII era for use in the aircraft mfg plants to prevent corrosion in the aircraft's structures. It is mostly used in the aviation industry today but works perfectly for aluminum boats also. However care must be taken in using it............suit up and wear eye and protection and a painters mask when spraying it. You do not want to breath the fumes of it. Given proper preparation and handling it works perfectly for the job. I have sprayed several aluminum boats with it and love the results. It comes in green or a mustard yellow color.

The boat of your question is my 12 ft Alumacraft model E. I am a Alumacraft nut owning 4 of them between my brother and myself.....a 1968 16 ft Yukon model, a 1955 14 ft same as yours, and 2 12 ft model E's one made in 1950 and the other 1952. The one shown is a 1952 year 12 ft. I am currently restring another 12 ft Alumacraft model E.......in fact just finished restoring the wood transom inside and out and the original oars. Will spray this boat with Zinc Chromate also in the fall (Octoberish) when the temperature and humidity drops here in Florida. It's been too hot and rainy lately as I spray outdoors always to disperse the fumes and over spray.
Thanks for the pictures of the boat! And yes, I have spent a lot of time in Florida as well... My parents lived near Spring Hill for many years as well as Port Richey.... Lots of good memories..... My 12 foot Lund has been painted three times now... It was originally a "dinghy" that hung on the back of a yacht.... but I learned a lot about painting aluminum, the hard way. I knew that I wanted to use self-etching primer and have used it before .... this was a first time on aluminum however... I used it, paint the boat Lund Red and in less than a year, the red paint started to flake off... I researched it enough and talked to the good folks at Rustoleum to find out that after the self-etching primer was applied, I needed to put on another coat of regular primer before putting any kind of paint on the boat.. The second time it was painted with Lund Red using this information, it went well... And now the third time it is painted a blue color that is not authentic, but looks cool....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89725949@N03/
Just a few of the restoration projects....

Trucks of any kind are sky high right now in decent shape. Couldn't find one I liked. Tahoe wasn't my first choice but the condition and price changed my mind. Still pretty nice for a tow vehicle that seldom gets used for anything else other than towing.

Got the work I needed done in two weekends work. Mine has 162k.

I hear you about vehicles right now... I own five vehicles now, two trucks, two cars and a restored kit cat which is the only restoration project I kept really... I don't consider either pickup to be a restoration project. I have had many offers for the Lund boat and the Ford Ranger.... but with the demand, I am just going to hang onto them... I have collector plates on the 1995 Chevy and the 2004 Ranger gets collector plates next year here in MN... PS.. Fishing was very good this morning...

My antique car, all stock just as it rolled off the line, fully restored. Won't tow a boat.

0QrgJOD.jpg

jqa46eL.jpg

iXJe4Hc.jpg

My antique car, all stock just as it rolled off the line, fully restored. Won't tow a boat.

0QrgJOD.jpg

jqa46eL.jpg

iXJe4Hc.jpg
Very nice...... love old cars!!! But time has caught up with me... Like to restore boats now... nothing mechanical really.... and a lot of mindless work...... I excel at that....

Bought it from a museum as I am not into full restorations either any more.