Boat Seat Pedestals

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmoney

Reaction score
I bought a 14 ft Naden with a 15 HP Yamaha 4 stroke in the fall that the previous owner had removed the second bench seat, half of the back bench and decked the front two benches. There is also a low floor from the back of the boat to the front deck.
I also bought 2 seats for cheap on sale in the fall and am now looking for pedestals to go along with the seats. I was thinking of possibly mounting the one seat on the back half bench and having it moveable to the middle of the floor for when I'm fishing and then have another seat on a pedestal on the front deck. I usually fish with another person so I will need both pedestals to be able to withstand the load of someone sitting on the seat while driving at full speed.

The problem I'm having is there are so many different types of pedestals,capacity ratings (B, AD, etc.) and brands to choose from. I have looked though a lot of the mods and people use all of them. So, I was wondering which pedestals would you recommend? and which ones to steer clear from?

Waterwings said:
My seats have the plug-in type similar to what is shown in the following link https://www.basspro.com/SwivlEze-238-Series-Fixed-Height-Posts/product/10200650/-1556655 . I like these as they insert and remove easily. My other boat had the 3/4" pin-type as shown here https://www.basspro.com/SwivlEze-LockNPin-Fixed-Height-Boat-Seat-Posts/product/10200538/-216435. They were good and sturdy, but at times were difficult to remove (just my personal experience with them though).
neither of them are designed to be used when running full speed. I know a smaller boat that may not be an issue.
another thing to think about is the base both of them go into the hole . How much room do you have under the floor?

gmoney said:
. I usually fish with another person so I will need both pedestals to be able to withstand the load of someone sitting on the seat while driving at full speed.
this is what I read

redbug said:
gmoney said:
. I usually fish with another person so I will need both pedestals to be able to withstand the load of someone sitting on the seat while driving at full speed.
this is what I read

I missed that part. In my opinion, riding in a pedastal seat while at full speed (not sure what speed it will be) is not a safe thing to do.

gmoney, what's the speed gonna be?

Thanks for the input guys.
For the front deck the depth below it shouldn't be an issue, I can just drill a hole in the seat. In the middle of the floor there isn't too much clearance. I would check but the boat is under at least a foot of snow lol. I have seen surface mounts for some pedestals like this one
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boa...794380;cat104705280;cat104492880#BVRRWidgetID
are they any good? Although it may be a tripping hazard when the seat isn't in the base.

As for top speed, I have no idea. I only had it out on the river once when I was trying it out before I bought it. I was too busy with school in the fall to fish. The boat won't be seeing 30 mph. it only has a 15 on the back

IMO you should be fine with the basic 3/4" pin pedestals. I rode in those, for years in my fathers boat. Even at full speed which was only a little over 20mph.

My last aluminum boat all the pedestals were swiveling. They were factory installed so they were probably the right ones to ride in at speed. Even still I never had them locked and didn't have any problem with them.

I think the safety issue is when someone is on a deck, in a really fast boat and someone punches it without them having any idea it is going to happen.....Not a likely scenario.

Latest posts