Framing Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble

Reaction score
I have a question that I’m sure has been discussed before, I just can’t find it. I’m getting ready to start my build on my Tracker 1542. I plan on using 2x2 framing (only because it’s more cost effective). My question is what is the best way to attach the framing to the bench seats? My thoughts are to install jack nuts in the seat and use ¼ - 20 bolts. Any help would be appreciated.

I would do it flush, and use alum angle to form the lip. But the lip would not be taking all that weight - it would be reinforced with vertical pieces to avoid putting all the stress on the rivets.

MRichardson said:
I would do it flush, and use alum angle to form the lip. But the lip would not be taking all that weight - it would be reinforced with vertical pieces to avoid putting all the stress on the rivets.
yes, the deck would be flush with the top of the bench seat. I thought about using aluminum angle attached to the seats to help support the deck, I just didn't know if rivets would be strong enough.

I also was toying with the idea of putting the deck just high enough to make the front of the boat level. I fish 3 in my boat all the time, I don't want to sacrifice stability for a high casting platform. Any thoughts?

Stanley makes brackets meant to hold the ends of the framing pieces...I have seen them used on here for this purpose several times. You can find them at loses or home depot.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

This is how im framing my 1542. Im not attaching it to the boat itself at all. The way I have the plywood cut, its going to take some wiggling and manuvering to get it out. I did the same thing with my last boat, and it never moved once in 9 years of fishing.

chrispy186 said:

This is how im framing my 1542. Im not attaching it to the boat itself at all. The way I have the plywood cut, its going to take some wiggling and manuvering to get it out. I did the same thing with my last boat, and it never moved once in 9 years of fishing.
I've seen your build, looks good. I would love to see the finished product. I see you removed the bait-well, what did you do about the hole through the bottom of the boat?

Trouble said:
chrispy186 said:

I've seen your build, looks good. I would love to see the finished product. I see you removed the bait-well, what did you do about the hole through the bottom of the boat?
I would love to see the finished product too! Haha if this weather ever gets warmer, it shouldnt take too long.

I plugged the hole with a standard 1" plug. I used the twist to tighten kind. Then I filled the bottom with 3M 5200, out some around the top as well. I cut off the handle on the plug, and put some JB weld to make sure it doesnt loosen, which it shouldnt.

Ok...I'm thinking about attaching a piece of aluminum angle to the bench seats and they will help support the 2x2 framing. I will also use vertical supports. Would it be best to pop rivet the aluminum angle to the seats? What size rivets? Aluminum or Stainless?

Rivets or stainless bolts will work too. Bolts may be easier and if you don't have a rivet gun, cheaper.

If you have seats like mine the top is separate so it's no problem - if they are just one piece like some of the aluminum jons are, I know some guys u a butterfly bolt - like they use for hollow wall anchors...it spreads out once it is inside the hole.

If you do rivets I would use the largest you can for that job.

Latest posts