Purchase a larger boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I currently use my Valco 14 in the ocean bays here in so. cal.
I am considering getting a larger boat for the ocean...maybe an 18 + foot center console or cuddy cabin.
Have any of you owned a larger fishing boat like that, and if so, what are the pluses and minuses that you have encountered?

CONS
Here in IL, a 18ft boat costs more to title which is every 3 years than a 14ft boat.
Trailer might cost more to title / license too
18ft is heavier than 14ft, especially if fiberglass, harder to tow
18ft needs bigger engine ($), uses more gas
harder to store a 18ft boat vs 14ft
might need a bigger hitch and/or vehicle

PROS
18ft is wider / longer, more room
18ft is more stable, at least it should be, more seaworthy
more people can go fishing with you
carries more beer and fish!

If you don't know much about fiberglass boats you're likely to buy a rotten piece of crap. Fiberglass boats rot from the inside out, and by the time the deck gets 1 or 2 little soft spots in it everything below is rotten and usually the transom is too. The bellows on inboard/outboard are notorious for leaking if they aren't well maintained. Some people will put a fiberglass boat up for sale claiming it has a new deck and carpet when in fact they've only thrown some new plywood over the old rotten deck and stringer and put new carpet down.

You have to be very careful when buying a used fiberglass boat, you need to have it inspected by a professional boat surveyor and you need to water test it after it's been surveyed before you buy it.

I have seen 18 ft aluminum boats...are they as stable as a fiberglass....what I mean by stable is that I want to be able to stand and walk in the boat.

I've got a 17 foot aluminum lowe bass boat, it's as stable as I need and I've tortured it on some rougher waters, I've never been in a 14 footer that I would take out beyond the smaller rivers, but I'll surely take my ride out onto lake huron with no worries.

I use my 14 foot Gregor only on fresh water and even then have to watch the afternoon wind conditions here in So Cal and the Sierras.

I have a 15 foot fiberglass that we mostly use in the ocean bays and on a good day just outside of the breakwater.

My GF's brother has a 17 foot Arima that he takes out into the deep waters but that thing is built like a tank and meant to be used in the open ocean.

As others have said, larger boats mean larger costs. Also, larger boats may require trailer brakes too.

Whenever we fish we end up at the ocean, which is probably why I want something bigger...it doesnt have to be 18 feet, but at least something that I can take out there and stand up and walk in. I would try to stay with an outboard. I'm sure you are right...bigger boat, bigger costs. I'm just thinking that fishing the ocean, even in the bays or just a little further out would be more enjoyable if I didnt have to stay seated.

I've got pics of two that I'm familiar with on https://www.benjineer.com. Mine is a 17' center console, and my dad's is a 20' cuddy with inboard. Be glad to answer any questions. I'd prefer fiberglass for the Gulf. It feels more solid when you start hitting some decent waves. I think you want something with high sides and a deep V. I've been out in bass boats and my little 16' tin, and it's pretty intimidating out front. Especially when you've got 2' waves. The 17' is great for little runs out 10-15 miles, but you've got to really slow down when the waves get up or you get wet and beat up pretty bad. It's easy for one person to handle alone, not bad on gas or pulling. The 20' is a different animal. 4' waves are no problem. You do have to slow down, but it's a much smoother, drier ride. Look at the sharp V on the front though. It's an old, heavy boat on a a double axle trailer which is much less manueverable in tight spaces. Both of these boats have wood, and both have had rot repaired. If you've got the $$, get a newer one that has all composites (no rotting). Deep V vs Bay Boat is another question. Depends on if you want to do inshore fishing with a trolling motor. Deep V's have a high profile and get blown around by the wind. I tried a trolling motor on my 17. It was difficult to control if there was much wind and it's not a big boat as far as Vs go. You can, however, get bay boats up to 24' or so that can be controlled with a trolling motor. They're more like bass boats with a little sharper V and no carpet. You will still get wet and beaten up, just not as bad as you are now. Standing is not a problem in any of these, and I stand in my 16' tin as well.

One con of a fiberglass boat is the weight with regard to running aground. You can really get stuck, if you get in a shallow spot. I don't have that fear in my little tin boat. It runs really shallow, and I can get out and drag it if need be. A GPS map with a chart loaded helps keep me out of trouble though.

Thanks Ben for that great information. I checked out your boats...great pics...alot of work on the cuddy.
I have heard that the I Force motors are not reliable...every time I see one I go to the next ad.
I was looking at a post on the web regarding the differences between the cuddy and center console in regards to serving the family...maybe the wife, kids, or a few guys. This guy had both a cuddy and a CC...he said that even though the CC was shorter in length, they found that there was so much more room on deck, and the family enjoyed taking the CC more so than the cuddy. His only caveat was that the CC have a head, which is not an easy find if you're on a budget I suppose.
Anyways I thank you...if I have any questions I hope you dont mind if I message you.

Joe

Glad to help. The cuddy is nice for piling stuff in to keep it out of the way. It's big enough for getting a break from the sun. A good place for a kid to take a nap. Dad and I have even spent a night or two in there. You can fish off the front but it's hard to follow a fish that's going around the boat. There's lots of room in back since there's no console. It would be even better with an outboard. We plan to convert it if the Buick ever gives out. It's a hard comparison, since my CC is so small. An 18 to 20 CC with a t-top and up to a 150hp would be ideal for what I do offshore. The newer 20s being lighter than dad's cuddy. Staying with a 4cyl (115) will save on gas. As for the head, we carry a bucket. Of course there's no privacy in a CC.

Okay, so knowing what you have experienced with both types of boats...if you were to go out and buy another boat, which would you purchase, another CC or a cuddy, and why?

Also, is my assumption correct that there would be less problems and cost with an outboard compared to an inboard or in/out?

sirbeigealot said:
Okay, so knowing what you have experienced with both types of boats...if you were to go out and buy another boat, which would you purchase, another CC or a cuddy, and why?

I had a closed bow which kept us drier but sacrificed some usable fishing area in a smaller boat. My present open bow gives us more fishing area but is a little more treacherous in heavier swells, especially with the anchor out.

My potty is a small aluminum container. My GF's is a plastic coffee can and a poncho!

If you're looking for more fishing area, I would stick with an outboard, IMO.

I would go with a bigger boat but my storage area is rather limited, beam wise.

Good luck but most of all, be safe!

For serious fishing, definitely another CC maybe a little bigger than mine. If my family were more into it and wanted more comfort, for hanging out and not fishing, I'd be looking at a cuddy, maybe a walkaround for a little more fishability. I have about a 3 hour drive to the coast, so an afternoon cruise just for pleasure is rare. It may be a few years before I get my whole family out there. Usually it's just me and dad, fishin buddies, and/or my 3 year old. We now have a 4 mth-old too. I think I'd prefer an outboard for the reason's you mentioned unless you are a car mechanic and want to be able to pull the cover and work on your motor without dropping your tools in the water. Both of our boats have a backup outboard just in case we have major problems. A sea tow membership may not be a bad idea if they can get to you pretty quickly.

benjineer said:
A sea tow membership may not be a bad idea if they can get to you pretty quickly.

After barely making it back to the launch ramp in the ocean, I got the sea tow membership. I always carry spare tools and parts on board but hanging out over the water with the cowling off with tools in hand is often times scary. I don't have a kicker motor and the boat is too heavy for paddles (we tried).

SEA TOW is well worth the cost of the membership, if you only use them once for a long tow it pays for it's self.

I have been towed almost 20 miles coming back in from the sword grounds. I forget what the total would have been if I was not a member but it was crazy $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you are going out in the big pond it's better safe the sorry JMHO

Here on the west coast of Florida I use Towboat US. They will go up to 50nm offshore before they start charging by the mile. If I remember right Seatow only goes 35nm. It is way worth the price for the membership.

my dad has a 18ft wellcraft cc. my cousin has a 19ft keywest cc. a friend of a friend has a proline cuddy ive been out on.

this is the same model wellcraft
30050-sold-wellcraft-18-sport-wellcraft-4.jpg
a very versatile boat. when me and my sister where kids we would use it like a run-a-bout. dad and i bass fished out of it till i got into tinboats.we slept on it once our twice. we had it in 3ft seas one time stayed completely dry.

my cousins keywest is more of a big water boat. higher sides, deeper draft, t-top. last time ifished with him we went 20miles out. i would not blink to do it again. we also went red fishing the next night in the bay it did good at that too.

for my time out on 1 i dont see a cuddy being good for anything other than big water bottom fishing, scuba diving and trolling.

edit to add: the extra cost and work associated with taking the big boat out take some of the fun out of it. compound that with outboard trouble and other hobbies the wellcraft wasnt been out in a few years.we are planning on getting it seaworthy again soon for some trips to the coast. you got to pay to play.

I would highly recommend something like the Wellcraft pictured above, especially if it's your first "real" boat. It's a great starting place if you aren't sure what you really want. A great all around size to increase your range and safety from what you are in now. It won't be terribly expensive to operate or difficult to trailer or manuever. With any of these deep v boats, your rear view mirror becomes useless. You will learn to use the side mirrors be more aware of what's around you before changing lanes, etc. You won't always be able to see if your tow vehicle is not wider than the boat. You will have a few oops moments on and off the water with curbs, ditches, docks, rocks, etc. Better to get used to it in a reasonably priced 18' boat rather than a new 24-footer. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of my little 17'. I've put some battle scars on it too. I hope I've learned some better habits to keep from damaging it. When I get ready to upgrade, I know what I do and don't want, so I don't drop $20K on something I'm not happy with. I paid under $3K for the 17' and probably have about $4K in it as it is.

Thank you guys...I am actually looking at CC's similar to the one above...17 to 20 feet basically.
There is actually a 14 foot CC for sale which leads me to ask, is there a minimum size which you think would accomodate standing and walking freely while on the water?
I am thinking that 17 foot would be a minimum.
I am seeing CC's like the one above starting at 3K.
Also, what exactly is a deep V when compared to non deep V?
Should I only look for something that is considered deep V?

Regarding the towing of the boat...I am a truck driver...I should be okay on that issue! :)

Latest posts