Is there any way to salvage this steering cable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Not really wanting to throw $100 at this right now. Boat isn't ready for the water yet, and I'd hate to put the money into it, only to find out it has other issues.

Disconnected my Teleflex cable so I could remote the motor, and paint my console.

N5au6H1.jpg

Cable does have a bad spot in it.
wc1vt8F.jpg

However, when it was connected, it would turn the motor smooth and with no issues.

I was thinking about sliding some wide heat shrink tube over that, like you would use around an underground electric meter wire junction and shrinking it down. At least to make it last a few months, long enough to get the boat out on the water and make sure there aren't any bigger and more costly issues that might prevent me from using the boat.

I'm assuming worst case if my steering cable goes, I can pull the pin connecting the cable to the motor and steer it by hand to get back to the dock.

Any thoughts? Any other way I could approach this? Anyone happen to have a used 8' teleflex cable they want to part with at a decent price?

If the cable still works, then you could still use it. Try cleaning it or maybe use a rust reformer and the heat shrink. That may allow it to last for a little while.

If it were me, I would apply a little oil or grease of whatever I have at hand,
then, very tightly wrap it with with the cloth type electrical tape for
strength, then, several wraps of vinyl electrical tape over that to keep the water out.
that is what I would do if it were mine.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
If it were me, I would apply a little oil or grease of whatever I have at hand,
then, very tightly wrap it with with the cloth type electrical tape for
strength, then, several wraps of vinyl electrical tape over that to keep the water out.
that is what I would do if it were mine.

Great Idea, thank you.

I was thinking some Gorilla Glue brand "Duck" Tape instead?

IMO, Duct Tape does not wrap small items tight enough to keep out water. Keep it Simple.
The cloth electrical tape is very tough, flexible, and is available everywhere.
My strong opinion would be as described above. It's your project - you decide.

Attachments

• cloth tape.jpg
    cloth tape.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 771
Barefoot_Johnny said:
IMO, Duct Tape does not wrap small items tight enough to keep out water. Keep it Simple.
The cloth electrical tape is very tough, flexible, and is available everywhere.
My strong opinion would be as described above. It's your project - you decide.

Fair enough. I was actually looking for that cloth electrical tape the other day and couldn't find it at either Lowes or my local ACE.

I'll order some on amazon.

Wasn't trying to offend, I just know that new gorilla tape stuff has some crazy strong cloth backing to it.

Today I was at my local ACE, Home Depot and Lowe's stores .....
in the electrical department, all 3 of those stores had the cloth electrical tape.
Right beside the black vinyl electrical.
If you don't see it, ask a salesman.
That type of tape is good for a lot of stuff !!
Check out this photo - old wooden hammer that had a split in the handle.
My great grandfather wrapped some cloth electrical tape around it around 1940.
LOL sure it is hard and brittle and a little aged, but it is still there.

It's your project - you decide.

Jus my dos centavos

Attachments

• metalsmith hammer 1.JPG
    metalsmith hammer 1.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 764
I would think you want to protect the cable without restricting the movement of the cable. So be careful about lots of wrapping with tape. You might want to grease it up before covering also to lubricate and help stop corrosion.
Tim

From the pics it appears that the inner sheathing is intact so wrapping it like suggested should work fine for a while. And not to contradict you Johnny, but vinyl tape isn't worth the vinyl it's made from for waterproofing anything you need to stay water tight for more than 10 minutes. For the outer layer on top of the cloth tape, I'd use some vulcanizing or self fusing rubber tape similar to this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-4-in-x-22-ft-Temflex-Splicing-Tape-2155/202195401

There are other types, brands, and size rolls out there, but some of them get pretty pricey.