74 Quachita 16' flat bottom rebuild.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewalden

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the site, but have rebuild three boats. I'm currently working on a 74 Quachita 16' Flat bottom jon boat. I pick the boat up cheap, ( you will see why once I post some picture and I will add pic once I find out how).

My question is this boat has a livewell in it. It has two hole the dran through the floor. What do I need to do to make this a active livewell? As of right now it has two treaded pipe ends holding out the water. Please help!

Thanks in advance for your help !

Ed

:WELCOME: Ed!

Thanks for joining! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your boat.

Here is a link to another thread that links Flow-Rites interactive livewell builders guide. Hope it helps you out!

Jim

:WELCOME:

Jim said:
:WELCOME: Ed!

Thanks for joining! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your boat.

Here is a link to another thread that links Flow-Rites interactive livewell builders guide. Hope it helps you out!

Jim

Jim you forgot the link. [-X

Ok,

Here we go, I use to drive past this boat everyday. It was sitting behind a storage build at this mans house. I stop last year and asked him if he wanted to sale the boat. He said yes. He said the boat had been sitting there for 16 years. !!! OMG So I purchased the boat, trailer, (new in the box never opened) Minn kota 30 lbs trust trolling motor, and a Evinrude 25hp motor for $200.00. I was HAPPY !! :D
The boat turned out to be a 1974 Quachita flat bottom with a 1972 Evenrude 25hp motor.

Well I ran out of time last year to work on the boat, so it seat for one more year.

So now it’s the first of March and I need a boat to take on my yearly fishing trip to (reelfoot lake TN.) end of May.

• Cleaned the boat out
• Checked for leaks (No leaks)
• Pressure sprayed the whole boat (taking off most of the out paint)
• Pulled the motor off
• Rebuild the boat trailer (replaced the wood, carpet, rope, tale lights, hitch(it was bent) and painted) I still need to replace the tires and grease the bearings)
• Totally replaced the transom wood
• Purchased a gal of Duralux paint to repaint the boat when I’m done
• Cut a floor out of ½ marine lumber
• Purchased carpet for the floor
• Purchased boat seat mounts
• Took out the stick steering (for now)
• Cut a place for a cooler in the front deck (because there was a whole already there, I just made it a little bigger)

Here are some pictures of the boat before I got started. I will keep you all posted on how it is working out.

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 730
  • Boat2.jpg
    Boat2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 730
  • Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 729
  • Boat4.jpg
    Boat4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 730
  • Boat5.jpg
    Boat5.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 731
As far as your holes in the livewell - I don't know why there would be 2 holes.. 1 of them would hold a drain plug, and you would open that up when you're out on the water, and water would fill up to the water line equal to how deep the boat sits in the water. Then when you get out of the water and on the trailer, you could pull the plug and all water would go back out.

Well,

I got to paint the boat this weekend. Here are the before and after pics. I still need to touch up some spots, but I'm happy the way it has turned out.

The cooler in the pic, goes in the front.new paint 1 480.jpg

Attachments

• old side 480.jpg
    old side 480.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,047