motor identification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alumacraftjoe

Reaction score
I am looking a buying a motor for the boat. I looked at a 8hp today and would like to identify exactly what it is. Year, model, etc. I have the following info.

8HP Evinrude
model # E8RENM
serial # B08951000

Anybody know where I could look up this info??????

Jim, close, but no cigar.

Go to outboardbooks.com

Then click search.

Type in the model number, or the horsepower, or the year, and scroll down to yours.

If you type in the model number, you have to leave off the N, as it is the particular model or suffix (every time there was a change in the year, that letter was changed)

You should end up here.

https://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.search

So, you have a 1992 8 horse Evinrude. By going to my second link, you could order an overpriced manual, or get a Clymer one elsewhere.

This isn't my favorite site, as it doesn't list point gaps, plug gaps, bore and stroke etc, but is easy to navigate as far as finding years.

Now, for motors from 1980, to 1998, I have another trick up my sleeve. At those times, the 2 digits right before the suffix number were the year. Use INTRODUCES, with I being 1, N being 2, all the way down to E being 9, and S being 0. Therefore, if I stumble across one of those, I don't have to have access to a computer to ID.

Ya gotta love Johnnyrudes.

Thanks bassboy! Your the man when it comes to motors. I know very little. The guy is asking 450 for it and it hasn't been started for over 5 years. His dad owned it before him and used about 5 times a year. Do you think 450 is a fair price?

I don't deal too much in these newer outboards (in fact, of my 9, my newest is still 4 years older than that). But, if it has been sitting for five years, you will right off the bat need to rebuild the water pump - 30 bucks plus labor, probably rebuild the carbs - 30 ish bucks again. May need a bit of other stuff as well. Now, with a manual, it is real easy to do those things, and shouldn't take you more than 1 1/2 hours for both, or much quicker if a mechanic does it.

I am seeing 9.9 Johnnyrudes of similar years going for that price, in running condition, but a 9.9 is in much higher demand than an 8. People want a 9.9 for 10 horse lakes, and the only reason they would want smaller, is if they had a real small jon, and I think the ratings go from 3 to 5 to 10. So an 8 isn't going to go for as much as a 9.9. I wouldn't pay a penny over 200 for that motor, but again, I never have a need for an outboard, given my collection. I tend to look for deals on a motor, so I would be less likely to pay what it is "worth." See if he will take 250. Some might pay 300 on it, but I am not certain of that. Remember money talks, and BS walks, so if you have 250 in your hand, and not a penny more, when you offer it, you will probably have a better chance at it.

Good Luck! Keep us posted.