18hp OMC starter?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray55classic

Reaction score
Will a 59' OMC 18hp starter and bracket fit and work on a 63' 18hp? I'm trying to gather the right parts to put electric start on my 63' 18hp Johnson. any help would be appreciated.......thanks Ray

yes it will...double check the teeth on the ring gear, i think they are all the same but not 100%. I have a 1968 Johnson starter and bracket I plan to use on a 1957 18 Evinrude...my problem with this is the front cowl mounts are on the starter bracket. if your bracket had the cowl mounts on it, I would trade you. Don't forget the electric choke too!

Hey Lakeracer , From some research I've done { DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE BANK AS I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THIS} it seems the starters on the 18hp , 20hp,and 25hp from 1957' to 1977' are typical that is interchangable , however the bracket is not, I 'm not sure of the starter bendix. It would seem logical in your case that the 57' and 58' models used a similar cowl that you would need a 57' or 58' bracket because the 59' and early 60' model used a completely different design 1 piece cowl, they probably deleted the cowl mounts on the bracket as unneeded. If you find out anymore info post it here, I'll do the same, and hopefully soon we'll both be able to push a button instead of pulling a rope.

Latest posts