water in lower unit. help!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sask tracker 1542

Reaction score
I pulled the lower unit in my 1973 18HP Evinrude. Only to find water in the oil when i drained it. My impeller was intact but need a water pump rebuild kit .

The water in the lower unit is my big concern now. When i lifted the driveshaft up to pull the impeller off it had little beads of water on the splines. which tells me the gear housing is breached by water.

If anyone could tell me how to rebuild the gear case I could use some instructional advice.

In my manual it says i need special evinrude tools like a bushing mandrell and OMC special tool #312001, special tool #301868. which i dont have nor do i think i could find due to the age.

is there a way to rebuild this with out special gear presses and tools?

Okay I opened up the gear case.. I found the spaghetti seal had red gasket caulk on it.

The 6 screws that hold the gear case together were covered in a caulking or sealer like the manual specifies but the caulk was soft and wet.

Theres also 6 small pins about 3/4 of an inch long that just fell out of the gear case when i pulled it apart. I dont see these pins in my exploded diagram and cant see where they are from.

the gear assembly looks good to me i'm wondering if i can get away with a new spaghetti seal and to re caulk the 6 screws?

Attachments

• 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 231
heres the pictures

Attachments

• resized_048.JPG
    resized_048.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 230