what size engine for a 1648 MV?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swump

Reaction score
I've tried to get answers with a search with no luck. I'm trying to choose an engine size. I'm going to buy a new outboard for the first time ever and sizing is proving to be the hardest decision.

I have a 1648 Lowe MV I decked up. The deck weighs about 60 lbs, I have the normal array of gear (trolling motor, battery, lights, etc.). No live wells. My fishing partner and I weigh in at about 420 lbs (no, not each).

I'm considering a Tohatsu 20 HP electric start and I'm not sure it's enough engine. I don't care about lots of speed as long as I can get on a plane and get 18 mph or so. I had a 1442 G3 and ran an 18 hp merc 2 stroke and it ran plenty fast (about 22 mph with a moderate load) and planed easily enough.

I like the lesser weight of the smaller motors (50 lbs less vs a 25 hp), and I really like the cost difference (around $1000).

Thanks for suggestions and advice.
Swump

I have a 16 foot long boat and its 70" wide at the top. I have a 1973 evinrude 25 hp and it seems to push it just fine. I had all my fishing gear me (145lb) my wife(wont tell me but around 140 lb and prego lol), my friend who weighs about 220, his 5 yr old daughter, my 13 yr old sister and my husky. The river was low but i could still go up river at about 10 mph at a little more than 1/2 throttle. I think you will be fine.

I think a 25 is undersized myself. My buddy has a 16/48 mod v with no decking and a 15 will only push it around 12. Not planing it. id say 25 minimum, or even opt for like a 35 if it was me.

I'd get the biggest engine that you can afford, that being said the biggest i could afford was a Nissan 18hp fourstroke electric start (at the time they were marked down). This is the same is the size motor of the Tohatsu 20hp (same size/weight). I have no problem with my 18 hp Nissan putting my 1648 Lowe extra deep/wide(wood deck loaded down with two people and gear) on plane quickly. Brought mine in 2008 still runs like a new engine, best purchase I've made for the money yet. If a new 20hp Tohatsu is the best deal for you pick it up. Should put you on plane quickly and easily. Most of the time with a full load of camping gear and two people I run 18-20 mph.

I have an 86 25HP two stroke and I get 26mph in ideal conditions. Mine is fully loaded with large front and rear deck. I plan on upgrading to atleast a 35-40HP when my funds will allow me

Thanks for the good A&O. I opted out of the 25 hp and ordered the electric start 20 Tohatsu (only $200 and 3 lbs more than the manual start 20). 20 HP puts less pounds in my boat, leaves more leftover dollars for food, shelter, and dog meds.

I'll post a performance report when the engine shows up in the mail.
Swump