9.8 merc reverse lockout????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmcsa1201

Reaction score
Hey guys my names Damien and I'm new to this forum. Got a great deal on a motor woth seems to be very minimal problems. Figured I'd poke around and ask if anyone knows anything about a 9.8 merc pull start ss tiller. In reverse my motor wants to kick up. And latch won't stay hooked to the motor tilt adjustment pin. No sure what year the motor is and have been having trouble finding answers. SN tag says 5453792.

There's a fork on the bottom side near transom which connects to a rod that goes down into the shaft next a looks to be absorbe on the shaft???? The bottom side of the rod in the shaft seems to be surrounded by bushings and maybe they are worn out. Also rod seems to be bent slightly. Any input or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Also does this fork at holds the rod supposed to be spring loaded or have a latch that unlocks this mechanism???

The last year I can find serial #'s for 9.8's was starting 1978 with serial 4839254. The years prior to 78, they were making around 230000 - 300000 per year. So that should make your motor a 79 or 80 model. Going by that I pulled up this parts breakdown for the 79 9.8 motor. Does it look like what you have on your motor and do you notice anything in this drawing that your motor might be missing?
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/297_130.cfm

Thanks for that diagram but I was lucky enough to find another motor like mine on Craigslist and spoke to the guy about it and asked him. So I was right and it was missing the tilt stop lever. Wheni compared it to my 15 horse when I first got it I thought it was right. So now I just gotta find the darn part. And still figure out some other little things.

On that diagram I was referring to number 25. There's a rod that connects to that and goes down towards the shaft/lower unit. But I keep hearing people saying don't worry about it. I'm guessing its not really needed???????

The part I know i do need is #11 and need bolt too listed as #12. I have 1 but believe I been 2

I could be wrong on this but I believe it's either the shift shaft or a rod connecting to the shift shaft that goes through the back center of part #25 and and it pulls down on the back of # 25 when you put it in forward gear. This unlocks the motor so it can tilt when in forward so the motor will tilt up in the event you hit a log or other obstruction. #11 is the manual lock for locking the motor in the up position. The bolt that holds #11 on should be a stainless steel bolt and nut.

Latest posts