Is my Evinrude a gas hog or is there a problem?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wirtzer

Reaction score
I have a 1956 Evinrude 15hp short shaft motor and a 3 gallon pressurized, two-line tank. It seems to just guzzle fuel. I don't see any leaks from the carb and it seems to run fine though, as this is the first motor of this age I have owned, I have nothing else to go by. I have the high and low mixtures set correctly. I would speculate that I can run about 2hrs wide open (I'm guesstimating here because I took 6 20 minute trips at full throttle, before I run out of fuel. Does this sound normal? Maybe I'm not used to it because I've run 5 and 10 hp johnsons in the past...

Thanks in advance

Tim

If you figured the avg speed of a boat with a 15hp motor on plane is somewhere around 20 mph, 2 hours of running wot would be 40 miles. Divide that by the 3 gal of fuel would be 13 mpg. I'd say that's pretty good.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320560#p320560 said:
JMichael » 30 minutes ago[/url]"]If you figured the avg speed of a boat with a 15hp motor on plane is somewhere around 20 mph, 2 hours of running wot would be 40 miles. Divide that by the 3 gal of fuel would be 13 mpg. I'd say that's pretty good.

X2 and Johnson and evinrude are 1 in the same....motors that is

outboards estimated consumption of fuel is usually 10% of the ho of the motor. so at wot, a 15hp will be about 1.5 gal / per hour. so 3 gal in two hours. seems about right.
dino

I have a '57 Evinrude 18hp on an Alumacraft 14X48 MV jon boat and it runs just fine. Get a 6gal tank and forget your fears and have fun.

15 hp 2 stroke will burn about 1.5 gallons per hour so yours is about as it should be. Try owning a 200+hp 2 smoke sometime if you want to cry about fuel usage #-o

Thanks, all. Glad to know it was just sticker shock and not something actually wrong with the motor. :lol:

I have to say, I really like this old motor. It idles well and starts easily. Pretty amazing for a 57 year old motor. Now, with regard to a 6 gallon tank.., finding a pressurized two line tank might be a real challenge. Might be cheaper and easier to actually install an after market fuel pump :) For now, I'll just plan my excursions accordingly.

Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320694#p320694 said:
The Wirtzer » Today, 19:19[/url]"]Thanks, all. Glad to know it was just sticker shock and not something actually wrong with the motor. :lol:

I have to say, I really like this old motor. It idles well and starts easily. Pretty amazing for a 57 year old motor. Now, with regard to a 6 gallon tank.., finding a pressurized two line tank might be a real challenge. Might be cheaper and easier to actually install an after market fuel pump :) For now, I'll just plan my excursions accordingly.

Tim
Those tanks pop up on Craigslist quite often around here and also Ebay

If you want to make longer trips, just get one of those inexpensive 5 gal gas jugs like a lot of people use for their mowers and take it with you. When the 3 gal tank runs dry, just refill it from the 5 gal and you're off and running again. One of those 5 gal jugs is a whole lot cheaper than buying another pressurized outboard tank.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320677#p320677 said:
tnriverluver » Yesterday, 17:03[/url]"]15 hp 2 stroke will burn about 1.5 gallons per hour so yours is about as it should be. Try owning a 200+hp 2 smoke sometime if you want to cry about fuel usage #-o
You'd be surprised. My 225 ProXS has similar fuel consumption to my old 90 carbureted Merc @ WOT. Maybe even a tad better.
I would agree with jmichael and just get a portable gas can.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320862#p320862 said:
Pweisbrod » Today, 19:51[/url]"]tip: Don't run on wot. You will save a buttload of gas.
Agreed I just got back from a week long fishing trip with my Johnson 15hp, and fished all day, every day, on 6 gal. of gas!

The 2 strokes use up fuel faster than 4 strokes. The larger the outboard the worse the fuel economy. Look at engine data on the mercury homepage to see how bad marine fuel economy is compared to cars.

Latest posts