Johnson J35ELCND

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBoy

Reaction score
I have '82 Johnson 35 (electric start, no power trim). Just received a new wiring harness and the plug has more terminals than original and wire colors do not match. any advise to this newbie? :(

The wiring harness (413-1818) only has one plug - there is 2 different size terminals within that plug - the new has 1 large & 1 small more than original.

You said the harness assembly does not follow the color code of the previous harness? What is different?
Still, if it is the normal round "ten-pin" connector just run each lead to where the old leads came from, you should be good to go. An Ohmeter is your friend!
Extra leads can be for battery charging or other additions on other engines.

My friend (the Ohmmeter) solved the dilemma this afternoon - [measure twice - cut once rule]. extra connectors in plug had no corresponding wire to connect. CDI made it difficult in another way - no fuse in the fuse holder, slowed me for about an hour.
Motor fired right up quicker than in past. I can put the Tracker in the pond tomorrow.
:D

While I was installing the wiring harness I noted a rubber tubing about 1/4 or 5/16 dia. that connected to bottom of engine housing but connected to nothing on other end. Tubing looks to be part of original & painted tan. Any thing that I should know about?
:?:

This is not tan wire but rubber tubing. I can't locate a place to connect it.

I bet its your water line for the pee hole. mine on my 80 25hp is tan. in case pee hole confuses you that's where when the motors running on the back of the motor on the port side you see a small stream of water pissing from under the lower motor cover and into the lake. think the correct term is overboard water indicator. all it is is a way to visually check that your impeller is doing its job pumping water to the powerhead to keep it cool. that line should have a zip tie where it connects to the powerhead if it does then that's what it is and you just connect it to the little grommet on top of the pee hole. ok I just read your post again and you say that line is connected inside on the bottom of the lower engine cover??(I think you called it the motor housing) if that's the case its already hooked up to the pee hole and it will connect to the exhaust cover right behind your power pack. if you had it running without that connected you should have saw the water shooting out of the exhaust cover if you had the cowling off or when you took it off the lower cover should have had some water in it unless it all went down the exhaust tube somehow...either way that's what the tan line is. I believe theres a line connected to the by-pass cover right next to your fuel pump that goes somewhere under the front of your manifold too but I don't think that's the one your talking about and im pretty sure that lines white. our motors are the exact same that's the only reason I know all of this... you can kinda see the tan line in this pic on the bottom left under the power pack,thats the pee hole line.

Attachments

• 011 - Copy.JPG
    011 - Copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 432
I appreciate the photo, your layout is slightly different - the wiring harness plug on mine obscures the power pack.
The tube does connect to a grommet on bottom of power head shroud but other end is connected to naught and I see no nipple to connect to. There is a new looking brass plug in head above the power pack but it is only a plug. I've pulled the wiring harness plug out of the way & used a flashlight but no connector is to be seen. I've only had the motor for a year (first ever) and it has always peed as it should from outlet on shaft below power head.
:)

The nipple you are looking for will be on the exhaust cover. May have been replaced by an 1/8" pipe plug of some sort. If you have a hose and grommet on the stbd side of the lower motor pan then it was for an overboard indicator for water pump operation.

003 (1024x768).jpg

if it is connected to either of these spots its your water overboard indicator hose. if that's not it then were gonna need a pic to be able to help you. do you know where the by-pass cover is on your motor? is it connected to that?

Attachments

• 001 (1024x768).jpg
    001 (1024x768).jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 414
010 (640x480).jpg

heres the by-pass cover, where the pump is connected to. is it connected right next to your fuel pump?