1962 Evinrude 3hp Lightwin serial #

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tailormade59

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was recently given this little Evinrude. My research tells me that it is a 1962 3hp.
Model# 3042A
Serial #B3664
I did not find out what the "A" in the model # represents and I was unable to find any info on the serial #.

Any info you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

Attachments

• Evinrude.JPG
    Evinrude.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 758
  • 3hp Evinrude.JPG
    3hp Evinrude.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 758
Not on that one.
Some models that were built in Belgium had a B in the model number and others went through a couple of different iterations during their model year and had a suffix letter requiring you to pay attention when ordering parts.
The only parts those engines normally need are the tune up parts, water pump, and a seal or two....those should all be common.

Thanks guys, the motor or prop will not turn over. I've put marvel miracle oil in the cylinders, I'm hoping that it's something in the foot? I suppose that would be better than the power-head.

It appears that the power head is seazed up. I will continue to give the Marvel Mystery Oil a chance to work before I put any real torque on it.

I have had seized engines free up in the past. Never liked running them afterwards. The rusty stuff knocked loose inside serves to grind away at the rest of the parts. If it frees up...consider it a good step in the rebuild job. Even if you get it to turn, the rings could be rusted tight in their grooves. It should have a full inspection/cleaning.

There are more of these little motors out there than you might think. Cosmetically your motor looks great. Worse case scenario you have to find a parts/donor motor if you cant get it un seized. Hope everything works out for you. Also your motor looks like it has the weed less style lower unit. Cool little motors.

The power head is still seized, I'm looking for a rebuild kit. I am not seeing rings or rod and crank bearings for this motor. I don't imagine that the bearings are hurt, but I sure would like to have a set of rings to freshen it up with.
Any help in locating these parts would be appreciated.
Model# 3042A
Serial# B3664
The tag indicates that it was built in Belgium.
Thank you,
Dale

Don't buy any parts until it's apart and you can see what you need. First you need to know that the block itself is save-able. Before ordering pistons or rings, the block needs to be bored and/or bored&honed 'till it "cleans". Then you will know the final oversize to order parts.

Ordering a standard set of rings, in advance, is no good if you find you have to go out to. 020" oversize to 'clean' the block.

Evaluate the crank and rods the same way. Check everything first then look for parts.

They made millions of those engines so, everything you need is out there somewhere.

Hope it all works out good. They run so nice...

I will take it apart this weekend. To be honest, I was hopeful that I would be able to just clean the cylinders up with a hone and put standard rings back in it. That may be presumptuous on my part?
If there is anyone that can advise me as to a vendor that may carry these parts, I would appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Dale

I have a 67' 3hp folding evinrude and a 65' 3hp Johnson .I cleaned up R&R'ed the coils, points, and condensor rebuilt the carb and r&r'ed the water pump and the seals in the bottom end , static timed & tuned my 67'it took 3 pulls to start her the 1st time, with just a little carb adjusting she purr right down and idled like a new one, it still running great 2 years later. I also went to the 3 blade prop .The 65'johnson I have is gonna need some more work to get it looking and running right. One source for some more info on these omc 3hp motors google "1953-1967 evinrude-johnson 3hp tune up project" It's a pretty good little read . Napa auto parts carries all the tuneup and most of the gaskets for these motors. what I didn't get there I got on ebay. Keep at it they're really a neat little motor, ALL METAL and less than 35 lbs for a self contained outboard ain't bad. Check "marine engines.com", "boats.net", and "www.evinrudeboatparts.com'' for more parts

Thanks for the info Ray. I am almost done tweaking my 68 9.8 Merc that hadn't been started in over 20 years. It has turned out to be a great motor! I will then move on to the 3 hp evinrude. I will check out the web sites you've shared with me.

Dale