Another outboard running issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboatboy

Reaction score
Well I've beat a dead dog to death again and I'm stumped so I hope some of you experts out there can help me out. My 2000 Johnson 50 started giving me a few problems and I know it's nothing major but I can't figure it out. It got really hard to start and now will only start if I manually prime it but will only run for a minute or so and die. New manual fuel pump(did away with the VRO), great compression, new bulb and hose, new plugs, and a tank full of fresh gas. The electric start models has it to where you can push the key in to prime. Just found that out so no wonder it was hard to start but the key switch is bad and another is on the way but I can do it manually on the block and it will run for a minute and die back off like it's running out of fuel. I've pulled the fuel lines out of the carb. And turned it over and the fuel pump is pumping but it won't stay running. The bulb stays firm like it's supposed to. I have always bought 100% gas but last week went out at night and the tackle store that sold it was closed so I bought regular pump gas and I wonder if that didn't cause my mishap. Last time I done it I had to replace the fuel pump so this is a sure lesson learnt. I did a just the fuel air mixture on the carbs a bit but my mechanic says that wouldn't have anything to do with it. I know the electronic primer solenoid is good because I jumped it off a battery and the lead running to it has no power when the key is on and pushed in but it should still run if i prime it manually. Any and all advice, criticism, and remarks are greatly appreciated as I learn from mistakes, reading, and talking to others better then anything in the world. Thanks guys. SHOOT!

Just want to make sure that you are turning the manual primer off after it runs for about 15 sec. The little lever needs to be in-line with the fuel path to make sure it is off. If you aren't turning off the primer, you may be flooding the engine. That may explain why it runs well for about a minute before it stalls on you.

If not, maybe someone else can chime in...

Good luck!

Yeah. I turn it off. I messed with it this afternoon and I pulled the carbs off and pulled the bowls and the little lids off and it looked like it has pin size water drops and it's starting to make sense. The mechanic said that it might have a little water in the carbs and it wouldn't burn out or blow out so to drain the carbs and flush em. I did that but I am going to pull both back off and actually clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. Any advise on cleaning carbs? I've had several apart but it seems like I never fix my outboards running problems. I've worked on cars for 8 years now in a professional garage and can do anything on a car or truck but never have any luck with my own outboards. I always end up taken them to a shop but I'm camping on the lake this weekend and my dad's been so excited about getting out on the water as he's never been in a boat so I'm trying like you know what not to let him down.

The primer is like a choke. You only need it a little as you start it unless it's very cold out. Run it at fast idle for a while. Do you have a good spark? Did you check or change your plugs? I'm wondering if it's only running on one cylinder. If it runs Ok but dies I'm also wondering if you just need to turn up the idle. I know on my 60 there really isn't any idle but instead you actually just adjust the idle timing to get more speed. I'm thinking your carb skill is fine if you messed with them before but did you check the float height when they were off? Turn the carb over with the bowl off and the float should sit level with the carb body. When you changed the bulb did that include the fuel lines. They degrade and collapse inside. If you think it's a fuel starvation problem then dump the tank and swap every rubber line you can get too. All else fails then check your reeds. They can kick your *** like this.

Well I did notice while I had the carbs apart that the float did t sit flush with the bowl like you described but I got it running and it's doing better now then it ever has. After seeing the pin size water drops in the carb I took carb and choke cleaner and cleaned the fire out of it and blew it out with my compressor. I put it all back together and adjusted the carbs a bit and it fired right up. I think I may have smothered it out the first time I messed with the carbs. I backed the screws out about 1 turn a piece. Since my key switch is still screwed up I'm having to manually prime it but it does great. Just got home from having it out and so far so good and I'm going to run the piss out of it this weekend. Is there anyway to a just the floats on the carbs? I have no idea and I'm scared of messing it up again. Don't mind learning from mistakes but I don't like when it cost me money. I'm very very grateful for everyone's input and I hope there's a time when I can help you guys but I'm not wishing boat trouble on anyone either as I know it worries me to death.

Latest posts