1993 8hp evenrude motor ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertp37642

Reaction score
I just baught a 14' Delphi in great shape with an 8hp evenrude motor its a 1993 model. I put it in a barrel of water to test it today and after sitting for a few years it fired right up. It only has 30 hours on it and looks like new. My question is there was no water coming from the motor housing. There were a lot of dirt dobber nest on the motor and the tube was clogged but I cleared it. could there be any other places I need to clear as well? Does this motor have thermostat? Really want to put it in the water this weekend but don't want to damage motor. Im not sure how to tell if its overheating or if its fine. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

First off, don't be in too much of a hurry or your first trip may be the only trip for your new engine.
The overboard indicator should show water pump flow almost immediately. It does NOT depend on a thermostat opening.
If you have cleaned out the indicator line at both ends then you may have an issue with the pump.
Before checking anything try your barrel one more time except this time make sure the water is at least 6" over the top of the parting line between the gearcase and the exhaust housing. Many folks simply do not have enough water in their barrels to prime the pump. It wants to be totally submerged.
By running it like you have the pump may already be damaged but give it a try.

Thanks for info. Ill double check my water level in the mourning but I had it over the water intake. I read online that I should of had it in gear when running in a barrel to prevent exhast from blowing water away from intake screen.

I had a problem with my 30 merc that wouldn't pump water after sitting the winter.. I ended up having to put some water into the output to get it to prime

Just because you had enough water to cover the intake does NOT mean you had enough water for the pump to prime.
The pump location is about an inch or so above the parting line I mentioned. That is many inches above your water intake.
No, you do not have to have it in gear. In fact having it in gear in a small barrel will aerate the water.

I give it another try today, started by filling barrel to overflow then pulled tale tell hose off and poured water down from top and fired it up. IT WORKED very strong stream. I let it run for a few minutes cut it off and put the cover back on it. Decided to try it one more time and all I got was steam. Guess ill have to just register it and back it in water to test.

New question. I noticed today a puddle of oil under motor that appears to be coming from the prop and 2 holes in the front of lower unit that water came out of when I pulled it up out of water. ive had outboard years ago but don't remember if they done this or not. There wasn't any oil until I ran the motor. Lower unit had oil in it when I got the boat and no leaks. Gas is mixed 50 to 1. I will check oil level again later today. Any advise would be appreciated Thanks.

I took it out for a test drive today still no water from tell tale so it looks like im going to put a water pump in it. Water line was at least 7'' above seam between lower and mid section of motor. Good news was no leaks in boat and moving battery to front made boat sit perfectly level in water. We used the trolling motor and fished about 4 hours without a problem. Trailer will need a few mods but is gunna work fine.

Glad it's working out for you. Good luck with the pump install and post some pics :mrgreen:

Pulled the lower unit off today to check pump and found impeller was split in the middle. Got a new complete pump ordered should be back on water by the weekend.

Got the new pump today from ebay today, (got the complete kit with housing). 20 min later and were pumping water, yeeha my first time working on a boat motor so I learned a new trick lol. I build streetrods for a living so I figured id try and it worked. Ill be on the water this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts