Tilt and trim question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question I was wondering yall could help me out with I have a 88 Johnson 25 and it is a pain having to raise it up if I get into skinny water and was looking and getting tilt and trim for my boat because mine doesn't have one. My question is 1. What's a good brand for an aftermarket tilt and trim 2. Where or how do yall install the switch for the trim?

FWIW we've had a CMC PT-130 power trim/tilt unit in service for 15-years or more in saltwater use ... and I think I added fluid once. No issues ...

The only other system I've ever had that I would expect to out live it would be Bennett trim tabs.

I was thinking the Cmc pt-35 myself and since mine is a tiller I was wondering where to mount the switch

You can mount the switch wherever you can reach it from where you sit and drive the boat. A popular place would be in the rear bench seat if your boat is so equipped. Show us or tell us what your boat is.

It's a Lowe 1448 with no middle seat ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439844154.411922.jpg
This is what the rear seat looks like, and I plan on moving the paddle somewhere else for fear of hitting it and breaking the storage clips.

That picture is perfect. If that were my boat I would install the switch to the front of that rear bench seat, just below your right toe in the picture. Because I would be using the tiller with my left hand, I could control the trim with my right hand.

lgpjr49 said:
I was thinking the Cmc pt-35 myself and since mine is a tiller I was wondering where to mount the switch

I had a CMC PT-35 and one of the support mounts cracked on it just a few months ago (I believe the previous owner had installed the unit about 5 years ago). Further research into this showed me this isn't a completely isolated problem. I have been trying to source replacement brackets for it, but the actuator also isn't working anymore (not sure if I knocked something loose when I took it off the boat). Now I don't have a working actuator either and there aren't service manuals that I have found for the unit.

The PT35 isn't the way to go, IMO.

It has a lot of things going against it. It does not use the industry standard BIA mounting pattern to hold it to the transom. So if, later on, you pick up a motor that has PT&T already (and uses the BIA bolt pattern), you drill 4 new holes and silicone up the 4 that the PT35 used to use. The PT35 is also narrow. Most Yamaha clamp on motors won't fit properly, the bolt holes are too far apart and they are into the outer edges. Also, the PT35's lower mounting point....where the actuator is mounted to the PT&T unit is garbage. It will break eventually. I know of some guys who break one every other trip, and I know of some guys who have broken one every other year or so. They are cheap but you can't put a price on ruining your fishing or hunting trip because of a $7 part.

Also be advised that CMC does not offer a single part for the actuator. If (when) it fails or leaks, you buy a new one at about $400 or so. Also, the CMC factory relays are known to be unreliable. Those are the #1 reason for CMC PT&T problems. I normally cut the wire harness up and do away with the dual relay setup, and install an ATV winch contactor. The contactor lasts a LOT longer than the relays do, even in a wet environment.

I want PT&T on mine but I am torn between the CMC and Panther. I like some things about both but there isn't a lot of feedback out there on the Panther unit.

Where to put the switch? I like it in the tiller handle. I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of the one I saw where the button was placed in the tiller. It is slick.

Okay I've never heard of panther but I'll take a look and the switch in the tiller sounds like it maybe