Add tilt and trim to a manual outboard?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomastee

Reaction score
I just bought a 1992 Tracker TX17 with a Johnson 40, model # TJ40ELENM which has the manual, non electric tilt/trim piston between the mounts. The outboard runs great but its a pain lifting and lowering the engine not to mention the MPH I'm losing by not trimming it.

So my question is.....does anyone know if I can replace the manual tilt piston with a used electric model? The controls have the T&T lever built into it and the outboard has a cutout on the side to place a T&T switch.

I don't want to go with the CMC adapter because of the price plus it adds a 6 inch offset and I can barely get the boat in my garage now.

BTW I just found you guys (Tinboats) and look forward to the forums.

Tom

Yes it will bolt on you'll have to wire in a set of relay but any tilt and trim from 89-up to the current 40-60hp evinrude e-tec tilt and trims will works. Long and short shaft models use the same trim so they'll work either way.

Yes it will bolt on you'll have to wire in a set of relay but any tilt and trim from 89-up to the current 40-60hp evinrude e-tec tilt and trims will works. Long and short shaft models use the same trim so they'll work either way.

Thanks thats great information. Now if I can find the part I need and instructions I'll be all set.

Do you have to use the bracket off a motor with PT? or will the unit just bolt on the your original bracket?

riverrat717 said:
Do you have to use the bracket off a motor with PT? or will the unit just bolt on the your original bracket?
In most cases no, you can just install the tilt and trim on your current bracket. Some motors do have a different bracket but they're pretty easy to pick out because they're normally the smaller brackets with clamps at the top of the transom like tiller handle motors use.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
riverrat717 said:
In most cases no, you can just install the tilt and trim on your current bracket. Some motors do have a different bracket but they're pretty easy to pick out because they're normally the smaller brackets with clamps at the top of the transom like tiller handle motors use.

As long as the original stainless screws in your trim housing aren't seized, you should be good to go! Before I did mine someone told me that some guys end up replacing their transom brackets when they do the power trim upgrade, now I know why. ](*,)

Callmecaptain said:
Lil' Blue Rude said:
riverrat717 said:

As long as the original stainless screws in your trim housing aren't seized, you should be good to go! Before I did mine someone told me that some guys end up replacing their transom brackets when they do the power trim upgrade, now I know why. ](*,)

Good to know! Thanks guys!