Motor Laws?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifesaball18

Reaction score
I've always fished using my oars... well am looking into buying a boat motor. Im sure there are laws and regulations that vary from lake to lake. Im up in MI. does anyone know of other laws for use of a boat motor than areas that are no wake zones, also where can i find where these laws apply at , i went to the DNR website which wasn't very helpful, to see if they put up anything. But there was nothing!

I am wondering if certain lakes you can only use 4/2strokes, or electric trolling, or a certain noise level, or a max. hp rating.

Any help is appreciated!

I don't know man.. you might end up having to call them to find out. They don't put much about that on their websites because so many lakes are different...

Hopefully someone on here will have an answer

I'm not sure if this was the information you were referring too but thought it might help. Check out the link below.

https://dsam-mi.org/content/view/213/128/#laws

I was able to find this on Yahoo by searching on Boating Restrictions on Michigan Lakes. You might try entering that same phrase on a google search and see what you come back with.

Have some free time due to slip and fall so I checked what I could for you. This is what I found.
Approximately 70 inland lakes, rivers, and streams have been closed to motorized vessels and another 26 allow only electric motors.
This link has each lake listed w/restrictions. :USA1:
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37701---,00.html

Ask lake management if 2 strokes are banned.I got caught up in this recently and almost got burned.Seems a lot of lakes are banning 2 strokes.There may also be a horsepower limit.Some states require engines to be titled and registered.Stop by a local wardens office or lake management office and they can give you lake specific details.

Where at in MI. Im in Niles in the southwest corner. There are a few lakes around here that are electric only but for the most part all are still open to everything. I fish the St. Joe River for smallies mostly. Mostly the really small lakes are the ones that are electric only.