11ft 87 sea nymph restoration/mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake11

Reaction score
hello everyone!
i'm fairly new to the site and to aluminum boat world. I picked up this small 87 sears sea nymph 11 footer the other day for a pretty decent price. no trailer but i dont think i need one. after doing some research in the other 10 foot flat bottom posts i decided not to do any major decking in the boat because everyone has me freaked out about the weight (the tag states 395lb and 2 persons max) so i'm going to keep it simple and still usable if possible. Oh! I also found a nice little 198?? yamaha 3hp (model 3SG) to put on it. little guy only weighs about 39.5 pounds with its onboard tank filled!

Here's what i plan to do to her:
-figure out how to replace the transom board, it's rotted out.
-refinish the bottom side of the boat with whatever material comes most highly recommended on here, has some scratches that have peeled away the paint.
-build a very small deck or mount of some sort in the bow so i can attach a bow mount trolling motor and hopefully help even out the weight a little.
-lay down foam on the deck and cover with some sort of very thin carpeted wood to level out the floor and so it doesnt sound like a gun shot every time you drop a sinker.
-add some strings of RGB led lights down the side for night time catfishing.
-pick a fish finder that wont break the bank and still do its job and install it.

thats about all i have planned for it. in comparisson to some of the other mods i've seen on here it sounds like it should be super easy but i have next to no experience with most of these jobs/materials so if you have any suggestions on where to start then let 'em rip!
I'm stuck on duty right now so i dont have any pics but will post some before pics when i get home tomorrow night.

Well - you've got the right things on your shopping list - I can offer my design for my trolling motor mount from my build thread - it's a "U" configuration of 1" square tube aluminum with aluminum angle attaching it to the front bench and 2 little .75" sections of aluminum angle anchoring it to the front gunwale

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33630