1965 Mon Ark 1432 Full Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartech5

Reaction score
I am new to this site and have been looking around on it the last few days. I've was going to do this project last year and didn't know anything about this site well im glad now I do. I have learned so much the past few days i have spent most of my free time at work just reading every bodys projects then I figured I would put mine on here.

So first off I have had this boat since i was 15 (i am now 20) and wore it out on the Duck river when I was in highschool i took it out 3 times a week during summer break. well now I have a kayak and its time to make this into a lake cove Bass boat.

How I got the boat
My dad has had a boat most of my life. He had Cancer when i was 8 or 9 off and on till i was 16 so he was on disabilty for well most of my life and couldnt work so he went out and bought him a boat. Me and him went out on it every weekend that was the main thing he did haha. He was always at the lake. Well he passed away when I was 17 and we kept the boat out at my grandpas when he could use it when he wanted to. Well we kept it up there then my mom going behind my back and putting it in my grandfathers name now he wont let us use it. So im glad I bought this one when i was younger. When I turned 15 I had enough money for me to go get my own jon boat so i looked on craigeslist for a few weeks and came up with a 1965 Mon Ark 1432. so dad brought me up there and I Paid $200 for it. So the guy I bought it from said he found it on the bottom of the duck river a few years before I bought it and he was a high school teacher he said he found it and brought it to school for a shop class, and they restored and and its time to do it again.(i dont know what they were thinking when they painted it)

The Project
1963 Mon Ark 1432
so first thing I will be doing to it is sanding and repainting the inside with bed liner and the outside jb weld 17 of the rivets where they are leaking then with beliner on the bottom and rustoleum olive green on the upper half.
Then I plan on lifting the front floor 4-6 inches and the back maybe 2 put ply wood on the bench supports (all carpeted except sides)and putting a 8 or 11 inch seat on the rear bench and the front seat in the middle of the small front deck maybe about the same seat height as the rear.
Im going to have a radio, bilge pump, led lights to see the floor at night, 2 rod holders,and a depth/fish finder and 2 cup holders also i have a 3hp gamefisher and a minn kota 17 lbs thrust trolling motor.

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,144
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 2,144
  • boat 4.jpg
    boat 4.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 2,144
  • boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 2,144
  • boat 6.jpg
    boat 6.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 2,144
  • boat 7.jpg
    boat 7.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2,144
Welcome to the site. I'd try bucking the rivets before using the jb weld. I'd also keep the seats low. Raising the floors will make your rig tipsy.

Finally i see a boat similar to mine! I have a 60 something model MonArk 1432 (from what i could guess... no plates anywhere on it) too... My thread is on here somewhere and i would highly recommend keeping the deck low as i did. Mine is still tipsy but nowhere near as tipsy as it would be if the deck was higher! I'll be keeping an eye on this one... Good Luck!

Arkansasnative I looked through every single one for the past few days and I seen yours, and I thought thats only one that looked anything like mine haha. I was going to base mine off of yours because I wanted the middle bench out but I was told it was unstable by my step dad, so then I changed my plans im not to sure what to do theres alot of many different ways to do it but only a few on a 1432s how high up did you go on the front deck area?

I started sanding yesterday and almost finished it tonight, all I have left on the inside are the corners then time for bed liner.

Attachments

• boat 8.jpg
    boat 8.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 2,015
I know it's probably tempting to use the JB weld since you have already bought it, but I would suggest either returning it or tucking it away for another project.

Folks here have experience with it cracking easily...best bet is trying to rebuck. If you are going to put something on it use 3m 5200. It is flexible and works great. I would suggest the fast setting version though - I got the regular and it took forever to dry completely.

Have fun with it!

cartech5 said:
Arkansasnative I looked through every single one for the past few days and I seen yours, and I thought thats only one that looked anything like mine haha. I was going to base mine off of yours because I wanted the middle bench out but I was told it was unstable by my step dad, so then I changed my plans im not to sure what to do theres alot of many different ways to do it but only a few on a 1432s how high up did you go on the front deck area?

On the main deck area I think its only about 5 or 6 inches off the floor... about half way up the middle seat. Not much can be stored underneath, I mainly use it for lifejackets and plano boxes. On the very front I used 2x2s on the front seat then plywood over that.

Yesterday I cut out some of the middle seat, then today I finished most of the corners and stuff that needed to be sanded, then went over to autozone and bought some rustoleum roll on bed coating to cover the inside.

Attachments

• boat 9.jpg
    boat 9.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 1,895
Well me and my buddy started priming tonight, trying to get ready for the bed coating he works at a body shop so he some what knows thats going on as far as painting haha.

Attachments

• boat 10.jpg
    boat 10.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 1,845
  • boat 11.jpg
    boat 11.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 1,845
  • boat 12.jpg
    boat 12.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 1,845
Picked up a 71 johnson 6hp motor for $50 today, came with a gas tank but no line so I cant test it, im sure it will need the carb cleaned wich isnt a problem, and the spring to retract the pull rope has spark and compression so should only need some carb work if it even needs it and it should fire up.

Attachments

• johnson motor 1.jpg
    johnson motor 1.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 1,769
  • johnson motor 2.jpg
    johnson motor 2.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 1,769
Well tomorrow I am trading a rifle for another boat a 1970 alumacraft 14 foot and 5 or 6 feet wide with a trailer also comes with a gallon of steelflex that will be my cat fishing boat hopfully that will be next years winter project , but I got a few thing done on the boat the past week got the bed coating painted on and went to academy and bought a lawrance x4 for 59.99. Pics of both boats will come tomorrow.

Heres pictures of the bed coating.

Attachments

• 2012-01-23_20.14.14.jpg
    2012-01-23_20.14.14.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 1,619
  • 2012-01-23_20.14.25.jpg
    2012-01-23_20.14.25.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 1,619
Heres the newest member to the family next years build possibly this years after i finish my small boat it will be a catfish boat.

Attachments

• jon boat2 2.jpg
    jon boat2 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,619
  • jon boat2 1.jpg
    jon boat2 1.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 1,619
Well on the bill of sale it is 1970 alumacraft doesnt have a hull number but I am willing to go through the pain to get it registered

Got the outside sanded and almost ready for paint.

Attachments

• 2012-01-31 17.02.59.jpg
    2012-01-31 17.02.59.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 498
  • 2012-01-31 17.02.41.jpg
    2012-01-31 17.02.41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 498
KevinWI said:
what's the plan for the middle seat? IOW...why was it cut down?
Its where a regular boat seat will go, im making it even with the small front deck im putting on it wich will be only 4 inches from the bottom of the front of the boat since its a 1432 it would be very unstable if I went any higher. If you go to arkansasnatives profile to his boat build im doing it like that but a little bit different, and the sides will have a cup holder a little place to put stuff and the fish finder.

Latest posts