1980 35hp Evinrude Motor Mods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh why does stuff always come up? I got one hour done! Got a question for you guys. When I'm planing about 3000 rpms I'd start hearing a weird noise like the prop was submerged. Hard to explain the sound but kind of like gurgling? I wonder if the pin is in the wrong spot on the stern bracket or if the motor is too high. It doesn't do it at idle or slow cruising.

I might try and get out tonight. Tomorrow I want to finish it. Oh and the reverse lock works great!

Let me post photos of the motor/boat height. And what pin hole I have it in.

Not sure if I did that right but, I uploaded new pics of it to the photobucket album. My father inlaw said it sounds like it could be sucking in turbulant water into the intake screens. He told me I need to have the motor parallel to the transom.

Wow I just wrote out a long response and it did not go through :( Ok I will try again. Your motor looks too high and you may have to go one pin slot inward also? Drop it down an inch at least, if not all the way. I could not blowup the pics so it was hard to get a good look at the angle of the motor in relation to the bottom of the boat. I tried many different heights with my motor on jackplates and could never get it to stop blowing out unless it was all the way down on the transom. You don't want to be getting blowout/cavitation while breaking in your motor. This means there is a light load on the motor when blowout occurs which cannot be good on break in. I tried loading some pics also but I seem to be having an issue on this site tonight #-o

Ok I will take out riser. I dropped it down 2 pin holes and that's too much. So going back 1 slot. I'll just need someone to help remove the riser. I have just over 2 hours of break in done. I will probably do another hour of half throttle since I'm changing the motor setup again.

I run mine in the second pin slot like it looks yours was in the pic but I think my transom angle is different than yours? Run a straight board off the bottom of your boat and get the cavitation plate (above the prop) on the same planing angle as the bottom of the boat. Basically you want the cav plate on the same level plane so it isn't digging into the water.

Well I removed the 2" riser and the bolt that connects the steering linkage to the motor won't clear the transom. Looks like I will make a 1" riser. That motor is a little heavy to handle on your own. Probably would have helped if I didn't forget one of the bolts in the riser into the transom. Holding the motor with one arm and getting the bolt and riser off kind of sucked. But, I got it done. Sucks that I'll have to repeat the process and add in the 1" riser. Do you guys bolt the stern bracket to the transom? I had everything bolted before and I just want to avoid making swiss cheese out of my transom.

I bolt my motor after I make sure it is at the correct height. So run it a few times and be sure it is going to work before putting more holes in your boat. I ratchet strap the motor when running test heights as a safety measure but that is probably over kill, rather be safe and not have to search for my motor on the bottom of the lake though. I have a few sets of holes in my transom, just be sure to seal them off good so water cannot get in and rot the transom faster.

Also what kind of prop are you running, size and material?

I have a stainless steel prop that's 10 1/8 x 13
I added more pictures today with the 1" aluminum block in for a riser. I think I have the angle about as good as it can get. I have pics of the angle of the cavatation plate and bottom of the boat. It looks like the cav plate is about 1/2 below the boat.

Well I finally got back out on the water today for another couple of hours. We have plans tomorrow for another 3 to 4 hours. So, far things are looking good. I hit 23 mph going into the wind at 3/4 throttle. 21mph is the fastest I have gone with that motor before on calm water with no wind. I can't wait until this motor is broken in to see what it can do. With the motor deeper in the water and a little better angle it planes good and has a big rooster tail wake. I didn't put the hydro foil back on but, I'm wondering if the motor had that from the factory? I think the motor works great so far. I'm glad I brought an extra gallon jug of mix fuel in the boat since I almost ran out. Luckly I stopped and checked to see how much fuel I had left and I only had about a gallon left in the tank.

Filled up the tanks and ready for tomorrow! My sister in law wants to come with tomorrow. My boat has broken down 3 times and she was with everytime. I'm actually affraid to let her come with...

Should I take any pictures of the wake or anything so you guys can check to make sure it looks right and etc?

first off tell your sister NO! We can't afford any set backs at this crucial point in the thread :lol: Ok I am joking, tell her to get a vest and hop in :D

We all love pics so post away. I am curious as to why you think the whale tale/hydrofoil was from the factory? As I do not think any motor manufacturer has put these on there motors from the factory. I am interested in seeing this rooster tale. Your wake should at the beginning of the throttle opening be kinda of a rooster tale look (maybe a 1-2' tall rooster) but once the boat is at WOT throttle the rooster tale should be like a flat 12-14" wide white water stream, say maybe 4-6" tall. That is referencing to about 10' off the back of the boat. This may also depend on hull design though?

Have you run a tach on it yet? And 23mph at 3/4 is not a bad reading at all on a 16' tin with that motor. Look to get another 3-5mph with the last 1/4 turn possibly depending on conditions and prop. This is where my motor seems to get up and go, the last 1/4 turn. And that is because the boat should be high in the water at this point with less friction on it making the last 1/4 feel like an extra gear.

Next time I go out I will try to remember to take a wake pic also at say 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and WOT to compare.

Wow am I ever sun burned lol! We got about another 2.5 hours on the water today before our babysitters had stuff to do. I was playing around to see how slow I could troll using the motor and it could go as slow as 1.3mph which is way better than before since it had to be at 2.5mph to stay running. I took pictures of the wake and uploaded them to my photobucket. I took the hood off afterwards to inspect the powerhead and it looked good. No discoloration on the paint or anything. The only thing I would be concerned about is I think I have it too rich since there was some fuel drops on the black intake box. So I would assume it's from the carb somewhere but, I didn't pull that box off or lean it up yet.

I had to install a new strap winch today since my strap started to tear in a spot. Old winch was 750lb style and the new one is 1500lb! Yeah this one will work much better. I also replace the hook/latch on the safety chain to attach from the trailer to the keel loop.

1/4 Throttle: https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii585/mjw210/2012-09-01113200.jpg
1/2 Throttle: https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii585/mjw210/2012-08-31154648.jpg
3/4 Throttle: https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii585/mjw210/2012-09-01113212.jpg
https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii585/mjw210/2012-09-01113850.jpg
https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii585/mjw210/2012-09-01113215.jpg

Now I think my transducer was causing some splashing of its own so I'm not sure if I change the angle of that if it will screw up my readings for the humming bird 797. I might need to adjust it since it was making splashes of its own while going fast. https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii585/mjw210/2012-08-18133450.jpg

Yea, it looked like a great day to be on the water.
The sun was a little bright though.
I spent my day standing in front of a Bar-B-Q grill. :?

If you got the carb dialed-in correctly, I wouldn't worry about the air box catching a few drops.
If you can idle that slow w/o it quitting its probably OK.

When you said rooster tail, I had visualized something like in the video below,
but from your pics, it doesn't seem that bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wn-XHhbaLk&feature=related

Yeah your wake/rooster tale looks just fine and will level out even more at WOT. As for the transducer, I have had similar issues with mine when I first put my 30hp on. I had it setup for my 15hp when on plane which was far different when I put more HP to the boat. Eventually I had to raise the transducer and I cannot get a reading now when I am at WOT. Oh well I say, I haven't ever caught a fish at 28-30mph anyway :lol:

Did you ever find a tach mj?

Yeah I have the little digital tach/hour meter. Seems to work ok. Cool that makes me feel a little better about the motor height and angle. So, I probably sven worry about the transducer? I bought a 12V marine accessory outlet today as well as some portable speakers I can mount inside my windsheild. 6.6 hours down 3.4 more t go. So about 8 gallons should do it. I'm using the XD30 red evinrude oil. Everywhere is out! I bought out what this boat shop had left. He said they won't carry it anymore and will only carry the more expensive blue synthetic stuff. I just want to get it broke in without switching oil. The guy wasn't sure if they weren't going to make the red stuff anymore or not.

I'm not sure if its the transducer splashing or if there's still some cavatation going on. The most I could probably lower it without the steering linkage hitting the transom is about 1/4". My kids had a lot of fun on the boat today since it was calm water. Only 2 hours left.

I get splash that comes from my cavitation plate at WOT, I tried several heights and had blowout or water splash so I just left it down and deal with a little splash.

Well I got another hour on Monday night so only one left for the break in period. I might get a chance today after my sons preschool orientation! It would be nice to get it done since it looks like I will have to start working Sundays again... I will post up the results after the cylinder head is re-torqued.

Latest posts