1997 Tracker Pro Team 17 overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prowelder said:
Jbower said:
You should of tried raising the jackplate with the 21 pitch prop. Probably would of got the rpms to come up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Jack plate cannot come up any higher or the motor will cavitate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s odd I have virtually same boat same jackplate different motor but I can literally have my jackplate all the way up with little problem. What prop did you try it with? If it was the chewed up aluminum one I could see and if it was a stainless with vent holes that would also cause it. I have an 18p on my evinrude and they recommend a atleast a 21. Only prop I have access to is a 24 to try so if I can I will either open the vents up to get some slip or raise the motor back up a half inch

Jbower said:
Prowelder said:
Jbower said:
You should of tried raising the jackplate with the 21 pitch prop. Probably would of got the rpms to come up

That’s odd I have virtually same boat same jackplate different motor but I can literally have my jackplate all the way up with little problem. What prop did you try it with? If it was the chewed up aluminum one I could see and if it was a stainless with vent holes that would also cause it. I have an 18p on my evinrude and they recommend a atleast a 21. Only prop I have access to is a 24 to try so if I can I will either open the vents up to get some slip or raise the motor back up a half inch

I ran it with the 19 pitch stainless

Prowelder said:
Jbower said:
Prowelder said:

You are able to trim out to a 20* right. Maybe the trim sensor is off. That’s a very low speed for 6000 rpms. So Iam not sure it would even be a bad trim angle. But after running the numbers on the 17p run. It at 8.32 prop slip. So that’s not to bad. Newer 75 motors on this style and length hull is maxing out at 39-41 mph gps.

gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:
Jbower said:

You are able to trim out to a 20* right. Maybe the trim sensor is off. That’s a very low speed for 6000 rpms. So Iam not sure it would even be a bad trim angle. But after running the numbers on the 17p run. It at 8.32 prop slip. So that’s not to bad. Newer 75 motors on this style and length hull is maxing out at 39-41 mph gps.

I think I'm going to stick with the 19 and try bringing it up half inch. I'm happy with it I'm running 42 mph top speed with a full load, And it's hitting about 5300 rpm right now. If I bring it up a little I might get a little more out of it. It's crazy how much difference the prop makes. The prop shop that I got this one from said I can do exchanges or refunds up to 60 days. Are even number props harder to come by. I checked a couple places in all they have are 17,19 and 21. The shop I got this Propeller from said they could alter it and make it an 18. I don't know how much that would cost but I am headed to lake Gaston for a week this upcoming Thursday. I am definitely going to put some hours on this motor with the 19 pitch prop and play with the jack plate. I will check back in when I get back and let you know what's going on. The best part about this site is that there are lots of other people out there with a good knowledge to share

Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:

I think I'm going to stick with the 19 and try bringing it up half inch. I'm happy with it I'm running 42 mph top speed with a full load, And it's hitting about 5300 rpm right now. If I bring it up a little I might get a little more out of it. It's crazy how much difference the prop makes. The prop shop that I got this one from said I can do exchanges or refunds up to 60 days. Are even number props harder to come by. I checked a couple places in all they have are 17,19 and 21. The shop I got this Propeller from said they could alter it and make it an 18. I don't know how much that would cost but I am headed to lake Gaston for a week this upcoming Thursday. I am definitely going to put some hours on this motor with the 19 pitch prop and play with the jack plate. I will check back in when I get back and let you know what's going on. The best part about this site is that there are lots of other people out there with a good knowledge to share

sound good. to repitch a prop is 50-100 dollars at most shops

gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:

I'm wondering if it is even worth it though what am I really going to gain 2 or 3 miles per hour for a 100 bucks?

Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:

I'm wondering if it is even worth it though what am I really going to gain 2 or 3 miles per hour for a 100 bucks?

i would just so the rpms will come up. Regardless what you gain on speed. What’s y’all prop to pad measurement. If you can move the motor up and don’t go past 5 1/2 inches. I would do that. Moving the motor just one hole on the transom is good for 100 RPMs on average

gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:

i would just so the rpms will come up. Regardless what you gain on speed. What’s y’all prop to pad measurement. If you can move the motor up and don’t go past 5 1/2 inches. I would do that. Moving the motor just one hole on the transom is good for 100 RPMs on average

That’s the problem we don’t really have a pad

Jbower said:
gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:

That’s the problem we don’t really have a pad

Pad is just a figure of speech for the application. In your case the keel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:
Prowelder said:

Are you getting porpoising? I gained 2 mph with my 24 prop but need to raise the motor back up to gain some rpm but can hardly trim the motor without it bouncing. I put my trolling motor batteries up front to help and only did so much. It’s been cold and rainy here so I haven’t had much time to actually test and tune. I’m hoping raising the motor back up helps a lot

Jbower said:
Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:

Are you getting porpoising? I gained 2 mph with my 24 prop but need to raise the motor back up to gain some rpm but can hardly trim the motor without it bouncing. I put my trolling motor batteries up front to help and only did so much. It’s been cold and rainy here so I haven’t had much time to actually test and tune. I’m hoping raising the motor back up helps a lot

Actually you are causing the porpoising, by putting the batteries up front. There is to much weight up there for the size motor and prop to pickup. These boat are weight sensitive. With there smaller hp combos. Your motor and prop is trying to pickup the bow when you trim out. And doesn’t have the power or bit to pickup the bow and hold it there. It try’s, and can for a few seconds and then looses bit and the bow falls. This is porpoising. Now if you want the weight up front. You have to set the boat up to run flat. No bow raise. This is accomplished by motor height and trimming out only to the point of level cav plate to level hull. Or otherwise known as neutral steering. So first tuck the motor under to come out of the hole. And trim out only till it starts to porpoises. Then trim down till it stops. Try to few the relation between the cav plate and top of the water. You want to move motor up till it’s flush or slightly under. From that point you work on prop size to get rpms in the max range for the motor. The boat will be slower but will driver great. Other then all this put 70% of weight in the boat behind your driver seat. And run the boat with a raised bow. Hope this helps. It is a lot to change The characteristics of a hull from One Direction to the other. But it’s all in how you want the boat to preform best with the way you have it set up.

gatorglenn said:
Jbower said:
Prowelder said:

Actually you are causing the porpoising, by putting the batteries up front. There is to much weight up there for the size motor and prop to pickup. These boat are weight sensitive. With there smaller hp combos. Your motor and prop is trying to pickup the bow when you trim out. And doesn’t have the power or bit to pickup the bow and hold it there. It try’s, and can for a few seconds and then looses bit and the bow falls. This is porpoising. Now if you want the weight up front. You have to set the boat up to run flat. No bow raise. This is accomplished by motor height and trimming out only to the point of level cav plate to level hull. Or otherwise known as neutral steering. So first tuck the motor under to come out of the hole. And trim out only till it starts to porpoises. Then trim down till it stops. Try to few the relation between the cav plate and top of the water. You want to move motor up till it’s flush or slightly under. From that point you work on prop size to get rpms in the max range for the motor. The boat will be slower but will driver great. Other then all this put 70% of weight in the boat behind your driver seat. And run the boat with a raised bow. Hope this helps. It is a lot to change The characteristics of a hull from One Direction to the other. But it’s all in how you want the boat to preform best with the way you have it set up.

Well I understand your philosophy but I have more than enough hp and I tried weight in the rear and it was worse. I’ll play around with it some more and see what helps. Honestly I think the older bass tracker hills weren’t made for running 40+mph. It did the same with the old 45hp on it and raising the motor had helped some. Now I’m running a 6 inch setback with a 90 so there should be plenty of weight in the rear

Jbower said:
gatorglenn said:
Jbower said:

Well I understand your philosophy but I have more than enough hp and I tried weight in the rear and it was worse. I’ll play around with it some more and see what helps. Honestly I think the older bass tracker hills weren’t made for running 40+mph. It did the same with the old 45hp on it and raising the motor had helped some. Now I’m running a 6 inch setback with a 90 so there should be plenty of weight in the rear A 90hp well that can be a whole different can of worms. Over powered. But I would think a 90 is good. What Iam thinking would have a 135 or more. The boat is rated for a 75 right. And most 75-90 are the same weight. So good luck. Never known a Tracker with porpoising issues. But have heard of a few fixed from it. Due to weight distribution.

Jbower said:
Prowelder said:
gatorglenn said:

I got a 17pitch i just haven't had a chance to run it.

Latest posts